THE RADIUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+ Empty Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+

Post by Noise Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Even in broad daylight, Riley was tense to the extreme. South District, where Solstice roamed, was not a place he ever really wanted to be. It was known for being dangerous and danger tended to mean “someone is going to stab you in the back so run away NOW, Riley!”

The credits were desperately needed, though, and he had already come this far. He’d turn back if he absolutely had to, and that was it.

With the description given on the Bulletin, he doubted that the Chameleon would be out and about at night when everyone sane went home, so here he was in the middle of the afternoon, walking on the streets of South District and trying to ignore the looks he was getting for A) his bandana and B) his eyes. Nothing he could do about either, really, for various reasons.

He keep an eye out for someone that looked like the description on the forum and an ear out for any information. Anyone man with a slim body and dark hair made him flinch inwardly. When a glance at the way they acted or dressed, or a glimpse of their eyes told him that they were not his target, he barely relaxed, and after a few hours his nerves were beginning to fray.

What was he even supposed to do when he found the target, anyways? An obvious harbinger attacking a seemingly normal citizen in the middle of the day would get him arrested. He sighed quietly, running a hand through his hair. He wished that the man would at least show himself, for just a moment, so he knew the guy actually existed.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+ Empty Re: Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+

Post by Ceara Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 pm

This was a very bad idea.

Ceara frowned as she read over the Chameleon’s profile on the Bulletin. Should’ve re-read that before I said I'd do it. She winced as yet another person brushed past her. Brown-black hair, hazel eyes? Yeah, that narrowed it down to what, a million people?

Being in the middle of such a busy street was beginning to piss Ceara off. Walking off the street and into a slightly quieter alley, she sighed and closed her eyes. The white-haired woman was losing her patience. Was the 500 credits really worth this trouble? He was talented at hiding in plain sight, he could be any one of the brunettes passing by every three seconds. It really seemed like a lost cause to her. She had been in the market, the park, hell, she even waited at the mall for 2 hours. Maybe I should just give up.

She scanned the street again. Really, how the hell was this man comfortable in the busiest streets of the South? Everyone knew that you could probably be stabbed in broad daylight and have no one give a shit. Ceara flicked her hair over her shoulder and took a deep breath. Yeah, this was a stupid idea.

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+ Empty Re: Chameleon [BOUNTY] +(Riley, Ceara, and Nolli)+

Post by SoupX Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:35 pm

Walking down a busy South District sidewalk, Nolli paused to re-read the description of the rather dull George Smith on his phone. It had recently occurred to Nolli that he, himself, fit the physical description of George Smith (with the exception of "dapper," Nolli was anything but dapper.) Then again, he and a million other people fit the description of George Smith. To Nolli, it seemed as if this George Smith was just a nutcase disguised as your typical, everyday citizen.

Setting down his plunger, Nolli took a seat on a nearby bench to take a look at his surroundings. Scanning the crowd, two people in particular stood out to Nolli due to their unique characteristics. One was an exasperated-looking, young woman with bleached white hair. The other was an even younger, very tense looking kid with a bandanna. Their appearances and demeanors were what caught his attention. Realizing he was distracted, Nolli mentally slapped himself. Ahh, no time to socialize, gotta find this Joe Smith or whatever...

Nolli sighed, looking up at the towering skyscrapers, he had to figure out a way to draw this guy out. What was this guy wanted for again? Murder and assault... But it wasn't like this guy was killing and assaulting people everywhere he went. At least, his profile said he was only wanted for 3 counts altogether. If that was really the case, the chances of catching him in any dark ally, beating someone to death, were pretty slim. I wonder why he killed those people... Did they display any specific traits? Perhaps something like wealth, or maybe he just didn't like the way they dressed... Nolli snorted at the thought, there were a ton of people who didn't like the way he dressed, but he was never attacked for it. Today for example, he wore a pair of yellow short overalls over an aqua turtleneck. His legs were adorned with blue, penguin-printed knee socks, and a comfortable pair of green sandals.

Nolli leaned forward and furrowed his brow, I need more information, he thought.

Well, considering this guy's left behind enough evidence to get his profile up on the Bulletin, perhaps he isn't very smart. Nolli started to formulate a plan that could potentially draw George Smith out of hiding, but he wouldn't be able to do it alone. If only he had some help...
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:31 pm

Riley made his way through the ground, shuffling his way to the edge where he could lean against the sun-warmed concrete of a building (No one can sneak up on me like this, at least.) The thought gave some form of comfort...barely. He continued to scan the crowd, trying to filter out only the men who fit the target’s description despite it being no help whatsoever. Still, there were a few people that made it through that filter: people who looked like they would kill him (everyone, basically) and people who were simply out of the ordinary. The girl with white hair, for example – from what he could see of her face and how she moved, she was not 80 years old. She soon disappeared from his sight though, turning a corner into an alley that blocked his vision.

He rubbed his eyes with one hand briefly before surveying the people around him again. Since he was stationary now, a few people were making an effort to keep an ample distance away from him, and his sharp ears managed to pick up a muttered “harbinger” from one of them.

Damn people and their inability to shut up about harbingers. Nothing to do about it, though, and he eventually returned to his original plan of just watching for suspicious people, ignoring the rest of the crowd.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:12 pm

Ceara’s eyes swept over the crowd one more time, in a final half-hearted attempt at finding Chameleon. Her gaze fell on a young man –no, a boy, really- with a purple bandanna covering half his face. She scoffed. His posture was rigid, and his eyes were flicking back and forth. Even without her ability, Ceara could see he was anxious. Obviously not from this part of the City. He stands out like a sore thumb, something you don’t wanna be doing here. Though, she was being a little hypocritical. Her hair seemed to reflect any light in a mile long radius. She blinked, and, giving herself a mental shake out of her daze, continued her sweep over the mass of people.

Her eyes widened a bit when they stopped on a brunette lounging on a bench, but she quickly dismissed the idea of him being her target. One, he was carrying a-Wait, is that a plunger? Two, his body was far too relaxed to be a guy with a 500 credit bounty on his head. However, he certainly wasn't a normal civilian. The young man’s eyes were discreetly passing over the crowd, much like her’s, and in fact, the bandanna boy’s, were.

Ceara sighed. Oh great, competition. Although, I could use some help. I’ll just take off with their shares of the bounty if we finish. With a grunt, he pushed herself off the grimy wall she was leaning on, plastered a smile on her face, and made her way to the man on the bench.

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 am

Nolli looked up from where he sat as he sensed someone approaching. It was the young woman with white hair. She was smiling. Indeed, it may seemed a little forced, but she looked friendly enough. Perhaps I could ask her to help... Even if Nolli did have the woman's cooperation, he would still need at least one more person to go through with the plan he had in mind. Maybe he ought to ask the bandanna guy. The kid was certainly unique. Nolli's gaze briefly shifted from the woman and scanned the area where'd he'd last remembered seeing the bandanna kid. The kid had moved from his previous position and was currently leaning against a concrete building.

Nolli called out,"Ey, Bandanna!" He motioned over to where he sat. He'd hoped to get the bandanna kid's attention before he was lost among the crowd of people.

His attention was pulled back to the white-haired stranger once she'd come within earshot. "Afternoon," he nodded. Cutting straight to the point, he continued,"Does the name 'George Smith,' ring a bell by any chance?" It was worth a shot to ask, less explaining to do later. Nolli glanced over to see if the bandanna kid had seen him.

Now that he had a better view of the woman's face, he realized she was definitely a Harbinger. Man, this just keeps getting better by the second. If he was lucky, the white haired lady might have a particularly useful ability in picking someone out of a large crowd. However, if she did, who's to say she wouldn't keep her mouth shut and take the bounty for herself?

Nolli pushed the thought aside, even if she did take the money, he was mostly doing this for kicks. Nolli's family certainly wasn't well-to-do, but he wasn't in dire need of cash at the moment.
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:43 am

Riley automatically turned towards where he heard the word “Bandanna”, a reflex he had picked up at school where his…peers would occasionally call him that. He saw someone motion to him and (oh shit) caught a glimpse of a lean, brown haired man before other civilians blocked his view.

You’re definitely being paranoid, Riley, there is no way that could be the target. “Blending in” does not mean “shouting to strangers on the street”.

Still, the man must’ve been calling to him for a reason. With nothing else to do, he weaved his way through the crowd to cautiously approach and stand in front of the bench the man sat on. He was talking to the white-haired woman Riley had spotted earlier, whom Riley gave a wary glance before shifting so he could see both strangers with ease.

“…is there something you need, sir?” The man seemed a couple of years older than him, and another glace towards the woman told him that she was likely so too. Though, she was a bit small, a look at her eyes (hey, violet like mine) also showed that she was a harbinger. Maybe he could trust her? Or maybe not, if she was a native of the District.

But beyond that. This man – unless he happened to be the luckiest harbinger ever and got brown eyes rather than something crazy like Riley’s – was a normal person wanting to converse with two harbingers. The fact that he was willing to and didn’t seem disgusted instantly earned him a couple points on the imaginary goodness scale. On the other hand, Riley couldn’t ignore the possibility that the guy was just psycho (why's he carrying around a plunger? And why are there nails in the thing?) and possibly wanted to use them…or kill them, even in the middle of the day.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:17 am

"Ey, Bandanna!" Ceara winced as the young man motioned over the boy. He nodded to her once she came within earshot. "Afternoon, does the name 'George Smith,' ring a bell by any chance?"

Mentally she snorted. “Not one to beat around the bush, are you? But yes, and call me Haze.” Ceara watched as he gave her a cursory once-over. She concentrated for a bit, and waited for his aura to appear. Mostly gray, few flashes of red, stable. Not hostile, pretty chill, though he’s definitely irritated at something right now. She felt the familiar, but still uncomfortable pressure build up in the back of her head while her vision blurred. Squeezing her eyes tight, she counted to five and rubbed her eyes.

“…is there something you need, sir?” Ceara looked up as Bandanna Boy approached. He, too, gave the pair of them an appraising glance. She studied his aura, an agitated orange. He’s wary of us, well, at least me. Smart kid.

Ceara forced another placating (she hoped) smile on her face and shifted her weight, resting her hammer on her shoulder. “Hey kid, I'm Haze. And this is… urm…” She gestured towards the man. “Well I actually have no idea who he is.”

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 am

“Not one to beat around the bush, are you? But yes, and call me Haze.” So the white-haired woman, Haze, was in fact looking for this elusive George Smith. Just as he'd suspected. Before Nolli could introduce himself, he was cut off by Haze's intense stare. He shivered, ggahh, it's like she's looking into my soul... The feeling passed, and Haze rubbed her eyes. Could she have possibly just used her ability on me?

Attempting a second time to introduce himself, Nolli was once again cut off, but by someone else. “…is there something you need, sir?” Nolli grinned, and waved politely at the bandanna kid. This time, he watched closely as Haze examined the kid as well. There's definitely something up with that...

Haze smiled and greeted the kid, “Hey kid, I'm Haze. And this is… urm…” she gestured towards Nolli. “Well I actually have no idea who he is."

Gosh, bout time. Nolli addressed the two harbingers standing before him, "hey guys, name's Nolli." He directed his eyes towards the kid, "...and what can we call you?"

Nolli stood up, picking up his plunger. He felt guilty that the others had nowhere to sit, "I get the feeling we're all in search of a certain Chameleon." He examined the faces of the two for any reaction. With his free hand, he gestured to a pleasant looking, outdoor cafe. "Let's talk and maybe get something to eat, my treat." Nolli started towards the cafe. That's a pretty nifty spot, for South District that is.
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 am

Riley looked at the two of them, studying them carefully as they spoke. Unless this was some plot by the two to kill him, they seemed decent enough. “You can call me Riley, I suppose.” He tensed slightly as the man – Nolli, now – stood and picked up the obviously weaponized plunger, relaxing moments later when the thing didn’t come anywhere near his face or other body parts. And at the mention of Chameleon…

“What a coincidence,” he murmured, just loud enough for the others to hear. It was kind of creepy, actually, but multiple hunters for the same target were to be expected. He gave a small nod at Nolli’s offer, especially relieved to hear that the man would pay for it. The whole reason Riley was here, after all, was to get more credits, not spend them. “As long as it is safe, then I’m fine with it.” Not just the café though; getting food with strangers that wanted the same target as he did? For all he knew, Nolli was going to poison their food.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

"Let's talk and maybe get something to eat, my treat."

Ceara glanced at the café that Nolli gestured to and nodded. She was familiar with it, and, for the first time since starting the hunt, she legitimately smiled. He was offering to pay for her food; it would only be rude to refuse. He would soon regret that decision.

The kid, Riley, nodded. “As long as it is safe, then I’m fine with it.”

Picking up her hammer, Ceara made her way to the café, sitting at a table where she could see as much of the area as possible. Not waiting for her impromptu companions to join her, she signaled the waiter over and ordered, “An extra-large latte with an extra shot of expresso, a chocolate cake, two éclairs, and a melon bun, please.”

As the waiter left to put in her order, she pondered over her new partners. Nolli was definitely more than his sloppy, laid back attitude and appearance would make you think. Though he was not a harbinger, he was hiding something, if he had intended to hunt down Smith alone. Ceara’s thoughts wandered over to the boy with the bandanna, who she didn’t know much about, since he really hadn’t said much. The kid was a harbinger, she at least knew that. Riley was probably inexperienced with bounty hunting, though he seemed to have enough street smarts, if he wasn’t already dead or maimed within two hours of stepping in Solstice turf. The two males seemed physically weak, though their intelligence would probably come in handy if they were to work together.

Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

“As long as it is safe, then I’m fine with it.” Ah jeez, yet another paranoid citizen of the Substratum. Nolli understood why so many people were a bit slow to trust others though, life wasn't exactly easy in the Substratum, especially if you were a Harbinger.

Without a second of hesitation, Haze found a seat at a small table at the corner of the patio and placed her order. Good vantage point, Nolli thought. “An extra-large latte with an extra shot of expresso, a chocolate cake, two éclairs, and a melon bun, please.” Nolli stared at her, mortified.

"For someone your size, you sure eat like a horse," he said, setting down his plunger and sitting down across from her. Nolli figured he had the room to make the remark without getting slapped, because he was, in fact, paying.

"Just coffee for me, please." Nolli addressed the waiter and then looked over at Riley, "Order whatever you want, kid." Nolli knew that this endeavor was going to be abusive to his wallet, but it would hopefully be alright since he was running two jobs now. Plus, he took a liking to these two people.

After the waiter took Riley's order and left, Nolli leaned forward, resting his elbows on the small mesh table--making sure that his hands were visible at all times. "Okay, first thing's first, what are your abilities? I myself don't have any, but I believe I can be of assistance in capturing Chameleon." He glanced from Haze to Riley

SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Riley followed after the two, hesitating a moment before sitting down, picking the spot next to Haze rather than Nolli so the man could face both of them at the same time. Glancing at the waiter, he ordered a small coffee and honey-glazed buns. He could’ve taken advantage of the free meal, but the last thing he wanted was a stomach cramp during a fight or chase later on.

He watched Nolli settle in his seat, noting that he kept his hands above the table. Could be a coincidence, or the man recognized that he’d best make it so he at least seemed unthreatening. Riley gave a very slight nod as Nolli confirmed his non-harbinger status; he’d gotten that right, at least. On the topic of his own ability, though…of course if he was actually creating a plan, he’d need to know what they could do. But if they were actually going to work together…well, he’d address that in a moment.

“I can replicate sounds.” May as well be honest about it, especially now that he knew his name and could probably find him in the Index if he wanted to. It didn’t mean that he had to go into detail about everything, though.

“But, assuming we do catch the target, will we be splitting the reward, and how?” Quite blunt and to the point, but that was what he was here for. “An even split for each of us?”
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

Ceara grinned when she saw the look of horror on Nolli’s face after hearing her order. "For someone your size, you sure eat like a horse," he said, and her grin slipped off her face. She glared at him as he took the seat across from her. If he weren’t paying for her food, he would probably have a rather large bruise between his legs.

Ceara shifted over as Riley took the seat next to her and waited patiently as the other two ordered their meals. Nolli watched the waiter as he walked away, and as soon as he was out of hearing distance, he leaned forward. “Okay, first thing's first, what are your abilities? I myself don't have any, but I believe I can be of assistance in capturing Chameleon.” His -perfectly normal- eyes glanced at her, before moving on to Riley.

She, too, looked over at the boy sitting next to her, and concentrated. “I can replicate sounds”, he said. Riley’s aura never wavered, so he wasn't lying. “But, assuming we do catch the target, will we be splitting the reward, and how? An even split for each of us?”

Haha, no, she thought, no way in hell am I just going to get a third of the already meager reward, especially after all this trouble. But she smiled. “Of course!” Ceara paused, debating whether or not she should tell them the truth. Might as well, if they were going to collectively make a plan. “Uh, how do I describe this?” She sighed. “I kinda see… auras. Emotions, feelings.”

Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:21 pm

“I can replicate sounds” Riley paused, “But, assuming we do catch the target, will we be splitting the reward, and how? An even split for each of us?” Nolli knew the question was bound to turn up at some point. Splitting 500 two ways was already pushing it, there's now way and even split three ways would go over.

“Of course!” Haze smiled. Now that was a fake one... Clearly, a three way split didn't sound good to her either. That was only, what, 167 credits?

"I don't know how to break this to you guys, but I took this job out of plain ol' boredom." Nolli sighed, unsure if the two would believe him. Even though he was being sincere, going to the South District to catch a murderer just wasn't a normal person's idea of fun. Nolli leaned back in his seat, still keeping his hands visible. "My family isn't exactly well-to-do, but I'm working two jobs right now," he added, not wanting to put a big monetary gap in between him and them. I'm paying for their food and doing a bounty out of boredom, Nolli snorted inwardly, but I'm definitely not Mr. Moneybags. "...So if we do get this guy, you guys can split the money," he said, honestly.

Answering Nolli's previous question, Haze interjected, “Uh, how do I describe this?" She sighed, "I kinda see… auras. Emotions, feelings." So that's what she must have been doing when they all first met. Her ability was perfect for bounty hunts. And Riley, sound mimicry could be of great help in this specific plan, that is, assuming Nolli had the cooperation of the two. "Okay, I'm gonna give you guys a rough plan I had in mind, then I wanna hear your ideas." Of course, Nolli needed to know the limitations of their abilities, but he could straighten that out later.

Leaning forward again, Nolli started, "Alright, we know that Chameleon hangs out in busy areas, correct? He looks like your everyday guy but the only difference is that he's running from the law. If we could create a large diversion," Nolli flicked his eyes to Riley. "something that would alarm only a criminal such as himself," Nolli now glanced at Haze, "we just might be able to pick him out of the crowd."

Nolli sighed, "but first we need a way to ensure his presence...."

"What are your guy's thoughts?"
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:42 am

Out of…boredom. So he was deranged – at least the plunger made sense now. But he was letting them split it 50/50 between the harbingers, so that was good. 250 credits would be more worthwhile than the previous 167.

He tilted his head slightly at Haze’s power. It sounded interesting and useful if she wanted to know who was hostile and who wasn’t. Probably could have some great people skills as well, if she worked with it. Not exactly a combat oriented power, though. Then again, neither was his.

Riley listened, crossing his arms and leaning back in his chair, as Nolli explained the outline of the plan. “Just the criminal, though? Do you have any ideas for that?” Sirens would be out; that would surprise more than just the Chameleon. Plus, he wanted to see what else the man could come up with, even if he was a little strange in the mind. “As for making sure he’s there, I’m sure we’ve all realized that people that fit his description, even if just at first glance, happen to exist everywhere.” He resisted the urge to look at Nolli pointedly; no need to irritate him when the man was trying to work with them.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:26 am

So… this guy hunts down a murderer in the most dangerous part of the City just for kicks? Something’s definitely wrong with this guy. Welp, Ceara wasn’t going to complain. The full 500 credits would’ve been nice, though she found she did like Riley, so she could deal with 250.

"Okay, I'm gonna give you guys a rough plan I had in mind, then I wanna hear your ideas”, Nolli said, and Ceara leaned forward, listening intently. It was a good plan, though there was one glaring issue.

She frowned. “I agree, we do need to create a diversion. However…” Ceara paused as the waiter came back with their food. She took a small sip of her latte, allowing herself a tiny moment to savor the drink. “However, I think you’ve forgotten that this is the South District. Half these people have done something illegal.” Including me, she thought, smirking a little. “We need to make this a bit more personal for him. Do either of you have a less fucked up phone than me?” She reached into her pocket and showed them the dinosaur. “We need to research a bit more on this guy, and this piece of shit can barely access the Bulletin.”

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:05 pm

“As for making sure he’s there, I’m sure we’ve all realized that people that fit his description, even if just at first glance, happen to exist everywhere.” Yup, there's one sittin at this very table... Nolli thought, referring to himself. He chuckled, "that's something we can agree on for sure."

“I agree, we do need to create a diversion. However…” The waiter returned with their orders. Nolli nodded appreciatively and turned his attention back towards Haze. “However, I think you’ve forgotten that this is the South District. Half these people have done something illegal.” Haze said, smirking. Nolli frowned, both Riley and Haze brought up the same issue, how were they to make this diversion exclusively directed towards Chameleon? We need more information... As if she was reading his thoughts, Haze continued, "We need to research a bit more on this guy, and this piece of shit can barely access the Bulletin." She presented her ancient dino-phone.

He nodded. Still frowning, Nolli reached for the back pocket of his overalls and produced a smartphone with a bedazzled, orange skin covered in tea-green zebra stripes. The phone itself was an older model that Nolli had gotten with a huge discount, but it still worked pretty well. Opening the browser function, he navigated to a search and typed in the proper queries for Mr. George Smith. Opening an obscure link found in the dusty corners of the internet, Nolli smirked at what appeared before him. "You guys might find this interesting," he remarked. He passed the phone to Riley, and took a sip of coffee.
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Oh good, the other guy had a decent phone, even if it was a bit eccentrically decorated. He waited patiently, pulling down his bandana and carefully picking up one of the buns he had ordered, as to minimize the stickiness on his fingers. A short examination later, he tried a bite. Hm, not bad, really.

When Nolli offered him the phone he set down the piece of bread, taking the gadget in his clean hand. He scanned the article, absently picking up a napkin to dust his fingers off. “That’s…an interesting story, but perhaps it could be used.” Apparently the man had been at a zoo nearly a decade ago – he had to have been just a bit older than Riley was now – when some rather…unfortunate incidents occurred with the animals there.

“You think he might be scared of animals?” It seemed plausible, he supposed, and he was fairly good with animal calls. Still, it was a bit…silly, really. “Any sane person would be startled by the sound of a lion or something of the like, but hopefully he’d react with fear rather than surprise. Get him anxious, and that might make him easier to pick out.” He offered the phone to Haze as he addressed her. “If we’re going with that, you might have to go fast; no telling how long he’d stay afraid.”

The more he thought about it, the more ridiculous it seemed, but it might work. Might.

He looked over at Nolli once again. “What are we going to do after we find him, though? It’s the middle of the day; attacking or attempting to subdue a seemingly innocent civilian is more likely to get us in trouble.”
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:38 pm

As Riley scrolled through the article on Nolli’s… very uniquely decorated phone, Ceara picked up one of her eclairs. She stared at it for a bit, before devouring half of it in a single bite, barely stopping to chew before she swallowed. Even though the small woman had eaten only about two hours ago, she was still hungry. She was always hungry.

She looked up from the other half when Riley spoke. “You think he might be scared of animals? Any sane person would be startled by the sound of a lion or something of the like, but hopefully he’d react with fear rather than surprise. Get him anxious, and that might make him easier to pick out.” Ceara polished off the second half of the pastry at a slightly more sedate pace this time, actually pausing to enjoy the creaminess. Wiping her hands on a napkin, she picked up the offered phone from Riley. “If we’re going with that, you might have to go fast; no telling how long he’d stay afraid.”

She nodded, skimming through the article. Ceara laughed, almost pitying the man. That is… unfortunate. Having the animals… and then ripping his… Aww. As pathetic as it was, this could really work to their advantage. If Riley knew how to copy animal noises, then it was only a matter of picking out the man from the crowd.

Ceara looked up from the phone and slid it back to Nolli. “I can only read two, maybe three people at a time, but I can do it fast and from a distance. Anyway, it’s easy to distinguish panic from surprise through body language alone, it shouldn't be too hard. I'll just need to be in a place where I can see a good amount of people."

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Nolli watched the two as they munched on their food and read through the article on his phone. In regards to eating, Riley was relatively normal, but Haze reminded him of a cow. Riley spoke up, “you think he might be scared of animals? Any sane person would be startled by the sound of a lion or something of the like, but hopefully he’d react with fear rather than surprise. Get him anxious, and that might make him easier to pick out.” Haze took the phone, and Rile continued, “if we’re going with that, you might have to go fast; no telling how long he’d stay afraid.”

Haze chuckled as she read the article. She looked up at Nolli, “I can only read two, maybe three people at a time, but I can do it fast and from a distance. Anyway, it’s easy to distinguish panic from surprise through body language alone, it shouldn't be too hard. I'll just need to be in a place where I can see a good amount of people."

Locking his phone and sliding it back into his pocket, Nolli nodded. This was good news. "Alright, welp, we have most of this figured out but, one problem still remains. How can we ensure Chameleon's presence?"

Nolli rested his chin on his hands. They couldn't just go creating diversions in every crowded part of South District. George Smith would definitely start to suspect something. Unless.... Unless that is, they managed to create one one big disturbance that would affect all the locations at the same time. But even if they did, how could Haze possibly see all those people. Nolli shook his head. He subconsciously muttered his thoughts out loud, "maybe if there was some type of event... something that would gather a large amount of people at the same time... "

"What kinda thing do you think would be appealing to just a plain ol' Joe on the run from the law?"

Last edited by SoupX on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:39 am

“I’m not from around here, unfortunately, so I’m not familiar with anything that could be happening.” He glanced at Haze – who was eating quite impressively – wondering if she happened to know anything.

“But as I said before, we also need a plan on how to actually apprehend him. I doubt we could walk up to him and ask if he’d follow us to the police station.” Though Riley certainly wished it would be that easy. “And we can’t do anything too violent in public, either.” He paused, tapping the table lightly with his index finger as he sipped from his coffee. “Nolli, you look the most ordinary out of us, except for your weapon of choice, so you might have the best chance of getting close to him without attracting too much attention.” Unless George Smith happened to have a burning hatred of bad fashion sense. If something was doomed to go wrong, it may as well be that, and…well, there goes the only non-harbinger on the makeshift team.

Well, hopefully Murphy’s law would cut them some slack, just for today.
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:17 pm

"What kinda thing do you think would be appealing to just a plain ol' Joe on the run from the law?"

“I’m not from around here, unfortunately, so I’m not familiar with anything that could be happening.”

She felt both of them glance at her. She was the only South District local here, so she knew they both expected her to know any upcoming events. To be honest, she didn’t know much about the goings-on around here. Ceara didn’t bother much with socializing. She sighed. Besides that stupid festival, which wasn’t until – Oh, crap.

Ceara whipped out her phone and checked the date. She chuckled a bit at her stupidity. “Guys… God I’m such an idiot. There’s this festival tonight, I don’t even know what it’s about, but it’s really big. I haven’t been to the actual event in a while, but I know the area. They close off Corona between 1st and 3rd avenue. Events don’t actually start until 8, but a lot of people go there as early as noon. If he wants to hide in plain sight, he’ll probably be there.” There were a lot of low buildings lining that street, too. She could probably climb a fire escape, onto a roof and see the majority of the festival, while still being able to pick out individuals.

Last edited by Haze on Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ceara
Ceara
B rank
B rank

Back to top Go down

Post by SoupX Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:26 pm

“Guys… God I’m such an idiot. There’s this festival tonight, I don’t even know what it’s about, but it’s really big. I haven’t been to the actual event in a while, but I know the area. They close off Corona between 1st and 3rd avenue. Events don’t actually start until 8, but a lot of people go there as early as noon. If he wants to hide in plain sight, he’ll probably be there."

"The timing couldn't be anymore perfect," Nolli said to no one in particular. "We can start there, but we should probably carry the plan out at the busiest time to for the highest likelihood of catching Chameleon" Truthfully, Nolli wanted to go a bit earlier just to hang out; the last time he'd been to a festival was 9 years ago on his eleventh birthday. Ahh, that was so much fun...Wait, this is no time to reminisce about the past. Even so, Nolli couldn't help but add, "Actually... we should probably go to the festival a bit sooner just in case Mr. Smith happens to be there."

Nolli looked to Haze, "are you aware of any good vantage points that would give you a view of the entire festival?" Then he looked to Riley, "They should be handing out a flyer that says when their most popular events are..." If not, they'd just have to hang around a little longer, which Nolli didn't mind at all.

If Mr. Smith was even at the festival in the first place, and if their plan did manage to draw him out, that just left them with the actual apprehension as Riley had mentioned earlier. Nolli rested his chin on his hands again. Out of the three of us, I do attract the least attention. Truth be told, Nolli could probably pass off as normal if he lost the clothes (and replaced them with normal ones, of course) and the plunger. He spoke up, "Even if we do pick out Chameleon, and if I do get close to him, even I would draw some attention if I flat out attacked him." From what Haze said, it sounded to Nolli as if the festival was a big deal that you'd be considered strange if you didn't go, so tons of people were bound to be there. "Perhaps we should just keep an eye on him until he leaves the fairgrounds, and then get him...," Nolli muttered distractedly. If they did that, then they ran the chance of losing Chameleon... His only other idea was probably slightly illegal, so he wouldn't bring it up unless the other two could come up with something that would work. "What are your guy's ideas?"

The waiter came with the check. When Nolli saw the total, he facepalmed and glared spitefully at Haze. "You're gonna get fat if you keep eating like this..."
SoupX
SoupX
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Noise Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Riley twisted around in his seat, taking a few moments to spot the stack of colorful papers on a shelf of advertisements, placed near the front of the café. Excusing himself briefly, he got up to grab one of the flyers, scanning it to make sure it was the right one. He turned back, accidentally bumping into a customer and apologizing to the man as he made his way back to the table. Sitting back down, he slid glossy paper over to Haze and Nolli as the latter spoke.

“What are your guy’s ideas?” He gave a slight shrug, glancing out the window as he thought.

“We could try to find a way to get him to leave the festival early? I’m not sure how we would do it, considering that we know so little about him.” He really wished that the Bulletin post had more information, but a guy as sneaky as the Chameleon would probably be extraordinarily careful about disguising his trail. The news article was just a stroke of luck – good in their case, and bad in the target’s case.

At Nolli’s (probably final) words, he shifted away from Haze out of instinct. No one liked being called fat, and that applied especially to girls, right?
Noise
Noise
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next