More Alike Than We Thought (Ceara, Andrew) [complete]

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: More Alike Than We Thought (Ceara, Andrew) [complete]

Post by Andrew on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Nineteen? And in June? Just how far were these insane coincidences going to go? "Please tell me it wasn't the 19th."

And when she choked over his questioning of her father's name, he half-rose. "Are you okay?" He settled back when she got her throat clear again, watching her carefully. She was starting to look worried, and a little scared, and he didn't want that. Not only was he liking her and hoping to clear things up from the last time, but he was also already willing to accept her as his cousin, as family.

Andrew looked down at his hands, splaying them flat over the table. He took in a breath then glanced up at her again. "Can you let me say what I'm thinking without interrupting or walking away?" And oh god did he hope that she would.

And when she indicated she would, he ran a hand through his hair a little nervously. "My last name is Cole. My... bastard of a father's name is Damien. He... He had a younger brother named David." He tapped a fingernail against the picture. "I've seen old pictures of his side of the family and your dad doesn't look much different with an at least ten year gap... I had been told that David was killed in a car accident two years before we were born."

And he stopped there, watching her hesitantly to see how badly she was going to react.

body - Turquoise ~ dialogue - Dodger Blue
Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants
Total Spent Rep: 180

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:20 pm

"My last name is Cole. My... bastard of a father's name is Damien. He... He had a younger brother named David. I've seen old pictures of his side of the family and your dad doesn't look much different with an at least ten year gap... I had been told that David was killed in a car accident two years before we were born."

Her immediate reaction was to shake her head, frowning. “That’s impossible. I’ve asked my dad before; he didn’t have any siblings, and he definitely was not killed in a car accident.” Her mother was, but that was beside the point.

She couldn’t have a whole part of her family that her father never told her about. Ceara picked up her fork and jabbed at her waffle. Never mind that his last name, and her middle name, was Cole. Another jab. Never mind that every time she asked him about his brothers and sisters, he quickly said he didn’t have any and changed the subject. Jab. Never mind that Andrew’s smiles looked eerily like her fathers. Jab-jab. Her father wouldn’t lie to her.

She dropped her fork, staring at the mangled remains of her meal. “No, he wouldn’t lie to me. If I really did have a family, he would’ve told me about them before he died. Any family at all is better than being on the streets…” Ceara pushed her plate away, suddenly not hungry anymore.
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:19 am

Andrew's hand moved, almost like he was going to set it on hers, but thought better of it and left his hand where it was. "It's entirely possible that I'm wrong. But I don't think I am." He grabbed a napkin and started to slowly shred it, dividing his attention between it and her and looking around the room. "I don't know why everyone said that Uncle David was dead, or why he'd say that he didn't have family, but I can't say that I blame him either. Most of my relatives are... not worth giving the time of day. They got rid of me and I don't want to go back. The streets are better than them. And what do you mean, 'before he died'?"

He dropped the remains of the napkin and clasped his hands on the table in between them after she had responded. He couldn't remember ever being this nervous before. Peering up at her from under his bangs, he asked one question that held so much more than just the words said. "Could you tell me your real name?" Please believe me. Please accept me. Please don't run away, don't turn me away, don't leave us both alone. Don't hate me for this. Please, please, please.

But mostly, he was asking for her to trust him.

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:39 pm

“And what do you mean, 'before he died'?"

She sighed, leaning her elbows on the table and rubbed her eyes with the heel of her palm. “Uh… When I was thirteen, my dad got sick… We didn’t have much money, so he couldn’t afford to go to a doctor. I didn’t really know what was going on, just that he wasn’t getting better, and he died a few weeks after he first got sick. I couldn’t afford to pay rent at that age, so I just… left. I couldn’t stay in that house anyway. And… yeah.” Reliving the memory was always difficult, but Ceara vaguely wondered if crying would help her feel any better. Ever since that first few nights, she couldn’t seem to be able to draw up any more tears.

She removed her hands from her eyes and looked at Andrew, who was fiddling with his napkin. Dropping it, he stared at her, eyes looking nervously from behind his bangs. She almost knew the question he was going to ask before it fell from his lips. “Could you tell me your real name?”

Even though she expected it, she still froze up. Half an hour ago, she would have no problem with telling him her real name; he had proven that he could be trusted with at least that much. But now… Now if she said it, she felt as if that would make this whole thing real. That she had family. That Andrew was her cousin. That her father lied to her. If she told him her name, it would mean that she couldn’t deny it any more. She pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath. After introducing herself as Haze for so long, it would be weird to say her name, especially her full one.

“My name is Ceara. Ceara Cole Shay.”
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

“My name is Ceara. Ceara Cole Shay.”

Andrew blinked a few times, taking in that she had actually given her name. He really hadn't expected her to do that. He had expected her to get up and walk away and he wouldn't see her again. A bright smile slowly spread over his lips. Someone was actually willing to accept him even though they had the chance to pretend none of this had ever happened.

Carefully, not wanting to upset her more or scare her or make her change her mind, he set a hand on hers. "Ceara. That's a pretty name." He lightly squeezed her hand. "Tell me about Uncle David? And about your mom? ...And about you?" She kind of looked like she had something that was stifling her. And if she was willing to share some of it, maybe he could take even just a little bit of that weight for her.

She had accepted him and he wasn't going to leave her alone. Which would probably piss her off at some point, but there you have it. That was just the way he looked after the family members he actually cared for.

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Ceara had nearly jerked her hand out from under his at the sudden contact, but she took a single look at his grin and decided against it. He was cheery as hell, now that she had given him her name (and trust), and his attitude would probably get on her nerves very fast. But despite that, she couldn’t stop the small smile that spread across her own face. Ceara knew that it would be frustrating on both their parts for her to really trust him, but she wasn’t going to run this time.

“Tell me about Uncle David? And about your mom? ...And about you?”

She blinked, lacing her fingers under her chin, and started with her mom, the one she would probably talk the least about. “Uh my mom- I didn’t get to know her that well. She… died when I was four. Car accident. I don’t really remember much about that, or her, but I do remember that she loved my dad, and me, and my dad loved her back. My father always said I looked like her, or that I’m like her in so many ways. Like how we both love reading. Or how we have a short fuse, but can just as easily be calmed down by food.”

Smile widening, she reached out and dragged her slice of cake over. “And-“ she paused right before putting a bite in her mouth. “Actually, wait. No. You’re gonna tell me about your family before I go on. I know you said most of them are assholes, but they can’t be all bad, right?” She really did hope she was right. Putting her foot in her mouth now would just be really bad.
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:42 am

Andrew laughed softly. "Well, if you're any indication, she must have been an amazing woman."

He blinked then leaned back, lips twisting as he thought. "Well, gram and gramps on our shared side were gone pretty early. Gramps died a couple years before we were born and Gram went when we were one. Uncle David was one of five kids and the second youngest. The rest are, in order, Duncan, Darla, Damien, and Devon. I have no idea why gram and gramps decided to name them all with Ds. Anyway, the lot of them are self righteous, so are most of the spouses, and they passed that on to pretty much all of their kids. I think Duncan's got a kid who took Uncle David's route and cut off from the family so I have no idea how he is since he's like twelve years older than us. My mom's a complete pushover and pretty much the definition of airhead. I don't seen Damien as my father, he's a sperm donor. And I've got three siblings - Jared, Lilian, and Caitlyn. Jared's a stupid son of a bitch and takes after the donor. They're both harbinger haters and I wouldn't be surprised if Jared joined one of those groups." He huffed unhappily, eyes distant and a little angry at the thought of most of their family. He glanced at Ceara and smiled a little. "But my sisters... They were what helped me put up with everything for so long. Lilian's a year younger than us and... she's a lot like you. Spunky and independent and ready to take on the world. And Caitlyn... I used to dote on her, I admit. But she was the one who really made me feel wanted. She's such a sweetheart and couldn't see anything but the good in people. She's... thirteen this year, I think." He shrugged. "And that's the family in a nutshell. You really aren't missing too much."

Last edited by Andrew on Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Ceara picked at her cake, listening intently to him describe his – No, their – family. She frowned when he talked about them, immediately disliking them for being such assholes. Maybe that was just how Andrew saw it, but she mentally shook her head at the thought. He had to be right; her father practically disowned his entire family for a reason.

She looked back up when she felt his eyes on her and watched him as he talked about his sisters with that little smile on his face that didn’t go away. She was almost a little jealous, seeing him be so happy about Lilian and Cailyn. Ceara smiled, though, glad that there were some good people in her family. “They sound awesome, Andrew. I would really love to meet them someday,” she noticed the slightly wistful look in his eyes, “But I guess that’s not possible, so you’ll just have to tell me all about them.”

“I honestly wish I had some siblings though. My dad always said they were planning on at least another kid if they could make a bit more money. But, I guess that never really happened, and when my mother died… My dad was really, really, in love with her. He wasn’t the type to remarry, and I guess I was lucky that he didn’t turn to alcohol or drugs or some stupid shit like that after the accident.” She smiled, slightly. “I know it sounds kinda stupid, but he just turned all that affection he had for my mom to me. Dad… was the best father I could ask for. And he wasn’t just a father, he was my best friend. I didn’t have many, well, any, really, friends when I was young, so when he passed away… I just didn’t know what to do with myself for a while.” Ceara sighed before leaning back. “It was tough, living on the streets at thirteen, but,” she gestured to herself, “I’m not the best person in the world, but I think I turned out okay.”
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:01 am

He met Ceara's eyes when she said she would like to meet his sisters. "It'll happen. I just... It's not like I can just walk up to that house, you know? But Lilian will be heading to college either this year or next and she'll move into the dorms or a cheap apartment. She's wanted out of that house since before I was thrown out. If we can find out which one she goes to, we can go visit. And don't worry, I'm sure they'll both love you." He smiled at her, feeling a surge of affection.

Andrew was one of those people who felt things very strongly and, though he didn't like confrontations, would fight if pushed to it. His emotions were almost always quick and fierce and could go to extremes. It was why he knew, that given the proper situation, he could kill. Especially if it meant protecting someone he cared for.

He couldn't help feeling a small bit of jealousy as she talked about her dad - what kid didn't want their father to love and be proud of them? - but that was neither here nor there. He acknowledged the feeling and let it go. Ceara was the one in front of him, she was the one who mattered.

“I’m not the best person in the world, but I think I turned out okay.”

Seeing that she was getting melancholy again, he spoke up, wanting to change that. "That's the best anyone can hope for, but for what it's worth, I think you're pretty cool. A bit infuriating, granted but..." He laughed, ducking in case she decided to throw something at him.

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 pm

"That's the best anyone can hope for, but for what it's worth, I think you're pretty cool. A bit infuriating, granted but..."

A muscle in her cheek twitched, and before she was aware of what she was doing, a nearby sugar packet was thrown at his head. Unfortunately, Andrew dodged it, but as he popped back up, she chucked a second one at him, this one hitting its target at the middle of his forehead. She let out a laugh at the expression on his face, before settling back in her seat.

“Well, I think you talk too much. And that your happiness is gonna get on my nerves real soon. But I think you’re pretty awesome, too. But uh, I wanna get this out before… I don’t know.” She sighed. “I wasn’t kidding when I said I wasn’t the best person in the world. Hell, you saw the wallet. That’s… what I do to survive. I steal. I mean, I don’t do it all the time, just enough for food and clothes and stuff.” She said that last part in a rush, for some strange reason she didn’t want him to think that badly of her. “Tal, my roommate-slash-best friend, she works part time, just enough for rent. I don’t want her tiring herself out, so… yeah. It’s what I’m good at, though, I’ve been doing it for over ten years now. When I was on the streets, it was either that, or selling my body… and I don’t think I could do that.” She shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 pm

Andrew blinked in surprise and jerked back as something bounced off his head. He blinked a couple more times, jaw a little slack. He probably should have expected that there would be a follow up. Looking down, he picked up the projectile. "Sugar packets? You're throwing sugar at me? Do you really think I need to be more wired than I normally am?"

His expression softened as he listened to her confession. "Ceara, it's fine. You're fine. You do what you have to to survive. That doesn't make you a bad person. That makes you strong. You don't hurt people just because you can, but because you don't have any other choice."

He looked out the window, his normal smile gone so it couldn't hide the sad, haunted look in his eyes, put there by whatever thoughts had occurred to him. "And don't do that. Sell your body. Don't ever do that." What he wasn't sharing was that he well knew what it was like to let others use your body for their own means, as well as what it was like for them to do the same without permission. While each had different feelings attached to them, neither was pleasant.

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:27 am

"And don't do that. Sell your body. Don't ever do that."

She cocked her head, chin propped up by a palm, and scanned his face. Andrew had that troubled, haunted look in his eyes that she had seen so many times in her own, and she frowned at that. Concentrating, Ceara studied his aura, a swirling mass of colors that she had learned to associate with sadness, anger, pain. So, so, much pain. Why the hell did he feel like- no. She wasn’t going to pick his mental state apart like she had done to many people before, not him. If he didn’t want to talk about it, then she was just going to have to deal with that.

Upset that he was upset, she bit her lip before signaling the waitress for the check and for her to pack up the remains of their meal. She didn’t think that he was hungry, anyway, and if he was, he definitely wasn’t now. The waitress left to go do that, and Ceara sighed, turning back to her cousin. She didn’t know how to make him feel better; she wasn’t good at that without coming off as insincere. Picking up another sugar packet, she rolled it between her fingers before throwing it at him, catching his attention.

“Hey. Stop looking like that, okay?” God, she was bad at this, but she smiled softly anyway. “You really shouldn’t look like that, all sad and stuff. It’s not a good look for you.” The side of her lips quirked slightly. “You don’t have to tell me why, but just… I don’t like it when you’re sad.” The waitress came back with the check and their food in containers, and Ceara nodded in thanks. “I don’t think either of us are really hungry anymore, so…” She stood up and, taking the check and the stolen wallet, paid for the meal at the counter before walking back, glancing at him before dropping her eyes to the table.
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:26 pm

Andrew blinked as another sugar packet bounced off his head. Turning to Ceara, he glared lightly. "Would you stop doing that?" What was with her and throwing things at him? Sure, he kind of deserved the first packet, and he could understand the second, but this one had come out of nowhere. Geez, she was violent. Though, to be fair, throwing him off the roof had been an accident.

His mild glare vanished as she tried to cheer him up. That... was really rather sweet of her actually. And she looked a bit awkward doing so too. He got up as she was paying and put his backpack back on, fiddling with the straps to settle it right.

Slinging an arm around her shoulders when she got back, he pressed a light, brotherly kiss to her temple before grabbing the bag of leftovers with his other hand. "I'm okay. Don't worry. I just... I'm not exactly proud of a lot of things I've done. And I don't want to see you do the same things." He smiled at her. "C'mon, let's go find somewhere more cheerful to talk. And I need to get your number still."

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:33 pm

“I just... I'm not exactly proud of a lot of things I've done. And I don't want to see you do the same things."

She nodded, understanding the feeling of being ashamed of doing things that were necessary to survive. Just because they were necessary didn’t mean they were completely justified. She leaned into him slightly before he spoke up again, "C'mon, let's go find somewhere more cheerful to talk. And I need to get your number still."

“Oh, okay.” Ceara patted down her legs, trying to remember which one of her many pockets held her phone. “Here… Oh, fuck.” She flipped open her phone, scrolling through the missed calls and texts that her roommate sent her. “Uh…” Fingers tapping in her friend’s number, she held the phone up to her ear, shrugging off Andrew’s arm before turning away. Talia picked up after the first ring, voice shrieking through the speakers.

“Bitch about damn time you called! You were supposed to back about an hour ago, damnit!”

Holding the phone away to prevent hearing loss, the girl huffed before bringing it back to her ear. “Uh, sorry about that… I got sidetracked.”

“You better have a damn good reason.”

She sighed, glancing back at her cousin. “Give me a sec, Andrew. And it’s… complicated. I’ll be back in about twenty minutes, then I’ll explain. I gotta go.”

A pause, and then, “WAIT WHO’S ANDREW BITCH YOU CAN’T JUST-“

Her phone was flipped shut, ending the call and cutting the other girl off, and Ceara turned back to Andrew, holding out the phone. “Just text yourself something. And I’m guessing you heard that, so… I really should go.” She bit the inside of her cheek, unhappy that their meeting was cut short.
Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:52 pm

Andrew smiled when she leaned into him. This was going much better than the last time they had met. Even with Ceara thinking she had killed him. And it looked like she had missed some calls. Oops. He hadn't meant to take up so much of her attention.

About to turn away to give her the illusion of more privacy, he stopped when he heard the yelling from over the phone. What the hell? He frowned, listening. That didn't sound good at all. He watched Ceara in concern as she hung up.

Reaching out, he accepted her phone and tapped something out absently. "I don't have anywhere to offer you to stay, but if you need to get away or someone to come over, you call me, you got me? I don't care what time it is or what the weather is, call me if you need me and I'll come running, okay?" He handed her the phone back and pulled her into a tight hug. "I saved my number for you. Give me a call or a text later and let me know that you're okay?" He stepped back, passing her the leftovers, saying something about how she should use them as a peace offering, and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"Take care. We can meet up again later."

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceara on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:02 am

She returned the hug, wrapping her arms around his waist and squeezing tightly. "I saved my number for you. Give me a call or a text later and let me know that you're okay?” He pulled away, handing her the plastic bag. “Take care. We can meet up again later."

“Yeah, I’ll text you when I get home. Oh, wait,” she said, pulling out the wallet and shoving a few hundred credit bills in his hand. “You saved me, kinda, so you deserve some of it. See you later.” With a smile and a wave, she turned around, heading in the opposite direction they were going before.

“Oh, uh, Andrew,” she paused, turning her body back towards him. “I live in the building on the corner of 13th and Montgomery, apartment 3C. If you ever need a place to stay or something…” She didn’t know how he would react, but where he lived never came up in their conversation, so… She flashed another grin at him, before turning around yet again. “Bye,” she called over her shoulder before she sprinted away.

Ceara
B rank
B rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew on Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:16 am

He couldn't help blinking at the money shoved into his hand. Yeah, he did need the money, but she didn't have to give him this much. But... well, he did need some replacement clothes. And this would give him the chance to heal a bit more before taking jobs again. And it stopped him from needing to whore himself out again.

“I live in the building on the corner of 13th and Montgomery, apartment 3C. If you ever need a place to stay or something…”

A wide smile spread over his lips. That was... pretty awesome of her. And showed that she was pretty willing to trust him. He'd keep it in mind in case he couldn't find somewhere warm to stay over the winter. It had happened a few times and he had just walked around until dawn. Though, he wasn't too sure he'd take her up on that, if that had been her roommate that he had heard. He didn't want to cause any problems for his cousin, and if things got bad enough, Andrew didn't have a problem hitting a girl if she deserved it.

Yawning suddenly, he blinked again. Maybe he should find somewhere to finish that nap.

((end))

Andrew
C rank
C rank

Implants

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content