(Michael, Cass) Chance encounter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

(Michael, Cass) Chance encounter

Post by Michael on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 am

Michael was sitting on a park bench on the outskirts of a city park reading a book. He was wearing a pair of black slacks and a white button down shirt to go with it with a peacoat over it to tie the ensemble together. He thought he looked rather casual for his time out, having laid out his coat across his lap and having his sleeves rolled up and leaning back to relax. Of course he couldn't completely relax with him being in the east district instead of his comparably safer neighborhood in the west. He stood out quite a bit from the rest of the people that were walking around him, but he didn't feel nervous as much as he did aware. His paranoia from being kidnapped before had become a useful tool which he used to sharpen his senses to always try to be aware of his surroundings. Of course it wasn't perfect, but nothing ever is.

Still he had no real reason to be in the east district other than deciding to walk around on a whim and needing a place to rest when he decided to stop walking. Still he couldn't help, but notice everyone that got close to him. Especially when they were almost unnaturally tall and approaching him hunched over.

Back to top Go down

Re: (Michael, Cass) Chance encounter

Post by Cass on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm

The nerve of that woman! Just... Argh! Cass had known she was going to pull something like this; it was why she hadn't wanted her dad to tell the woman (she just couldn't think of her as her mother. Not anymore.), possibly being in danger or no. It wasn't like it was dad's fault that Lisa had been attacked. And the things that woman had said... Cass had needed to leave the house or risk punching her.

Which lead to now, with the teen glaring at the ground as she walked, kicking out at the rocks and other stray debris that ended up in her path. Her hands were shoved deep into her hoodie's pocket and she had the hood up, covering her long hair. Admittedly, it had been pulled back into a bun so it wasn't readily visible, but she had learned that most people tended to avoid anyone wearing a hood. Of course, it did make her look somewhat suspicious in return, but she really didn't care right now and would even welcome a scuffle. Otherwise, she was going to end up yelling and throwing things when she got to the shop or the house. Maybe she could talk Andrew or Marjorie into walking around with her after dark?

Growling softly, Cass kicked out at another stone, barely noticing when it shot off toward an occupied bench.

body - pale violet red ✧✦✧ dialogue - dark orchid

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:04 pm

Michael feigned at looking at the book he lowered, but made sure the hooded figure stayed in his peripheral vision. Whoever the person was they were tall and angry. It was pretty obvious that they were angry from the way they were kicking the stone around, but he couldn't really make out their gender with the them being hunched over and the hood hiding their face.

Michael didn't see any reason to bother with them until they kicked a stone with some force and it started towards him. Michael moved his leg just in time to avoid the stone hitting him. He didn't know whether or not it was intentional, but he would assume it wasn't for the time being. "Watch where you kick those stones." Michael told them slightly annoyed with their carelessness while folding his book around his thumb and giving the offender a small glare. Michael was a little paranoid, but he wasn't afraid of other people. He had faith in the training he'd been giving by his old bodyguard and knew he could handle himself.

Last edited by Michael on Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Cass turned toward him, an impressive glower on her face. Blue eyes glanced him over, taking in his stature and clothing before she snorted. "Yeah, whatever pretty boy," she scoffed, lightly kicking another stone toward him. If it even made it to him, it wouldn't do much more than bump his leg and fall to the ground again.

While a physical fight would be great for working off some of this aggravation, the way her dad would react afterward just wouldn't be worth it. Not that she'd really be able to blame him, all things considered, but she did think he was over-reacting just a little bit. Following Lisa around the way he was kind of just supported her opinion too.

"You're the one sitting in an East District park in clothes that mark you out as not belonging here. I think someone kicking stones around is the least of your worries." Even though physical fights were a bad idea, that didn't mean she couldn't get into an argument. At least this way there wouldn't be any bruises.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm

Michael got a good look at the hooded figure's face and merely raised an eyebrow at her comment towards him. "Is that suppose to be an insult because it seems more like a compliment." he said with a shake of his head only to feel a stone bounce off of his shin.  He let out an annoyed sigh as he leaned down to brush off the dirt from his pant leg. "Was that really necessary?" he asked.

When she mentioned him being out of place he shrugged his shoulders. "I am aware of my surroundings. I am also capable of protecting myself should the need arise." he told her with an dull glare. He folded the edge of the page he was on and closed it again. "Perhaps I should leave though. If their are people as rude and tactless as you i can only imagine what your family must be like." he said carelessly as he got up from his seat and began to walk away. Despite his nonchalance with his movements he kept up his guard in case he had provoked the girl a little much.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 am

Cass growled low in the back of her throat then stooped to pick up a stone to chuck at his back. "Don't you dare say anything about my family. You don't know anything about them and you've got no room to say anything. You wanna insult someone, insult me all you like," she snarled, upper lip lifting to bear her teeth as her hands curled into tight fists at her sides.

She didn't consider her mother to be family so she couldn't care less what was said about her; it was Halt and Lisa, Andrew and Marjorie, and poor Adelaide that were her family. She blinked back tears at the thought of Adelaide and that tiny coffin and just kept glaring at Michael. Cass was hurting and angry at the world for what had happened to her baby sister and just looking for something to take it out on; and the punching bags at the local gym just weren't good enough anymore and not many people were willing to spar with a thirteen year old girl, even one as tall as she was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:26 am

Michael grunted as the stone hit him squarely in the back and listened to the following shouting.

Apparently she was extremely volatile when it came to her family, but that wasn't something to be ashamed of. Still it was a bit bothersome that she had dirtied his clothes again and caused him some pain and drawing the attention of everyone around them wasn't ideal for him either.

He looked at her, but saw that her eyes were watering up and he wondered why she felt so strongly that she was visibly shaking. "It seems I struck a nerve with that statement. Perhaps we should take this discussion elsewhere." he said as he glanced around at everyone who was watching him. It made him feel less than comfortable to have so many eyes on him and so he began to walk away quickly not particularly caring if she decided to follow or not. He just wanted to get away from all the people that were giving him hostile looks. He pulled on his coat as he stood and slipped the book into an inner pocket, before he began walking and pulling on his gloves to help ease his nerves.

Last edited by Michael on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Spinning, Cass swept her glare over everyone watching and shouted, "Show's over!" before turning to stalk after Michael. She wasn't following him; he was just going to the way that she was already going. Cass even told him as much when she drew even with him. That she slowed down and fell into step with him kind of belied that statement though.

"Sorry. I shouldn't be taking my mood out on someone who was minding their own business," she mumbled after a little, gaze focused down and to the side. Just because she was so pissed at everyone and everything didn't give her the right to take it out on anyone else. "I didn't hurt you, did I?" she added, glancing over and just barely down at him. He didn't look like he was moving any differently, but for all she knew, he was one of those people who was really adept at hiding it. And, now that she was actually studying him rather than half-ignoring him, she could tell that he was one of them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:01 pm

He was not really surprised by the girl's reaction to snap at everyone staring at them. She had already shown her hot-tempered nature and was most likely blowing off steam. When she caught up to him and told him that she was just walking in the same direction he merely nodded, but an amused smirk found a way to his lips as she began to slow down to match his pace.

Then came her apology. He wasn't really expecting one, but still it came and then came the concerned question. He raised an eyebrow at her and looked at her from the corner of his eye. "I'm fine. there will probably on be a bruise at the worst. It's nothing serious enough to concern yourself over. Perhaps you should not throw stones if you are going to be concerned about who is hit by them." he said with a slight annoyed tone. He noticed she was beginning to stare at him and he raised an eyebrow. "What? Are you just noticing what I am now?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

She started to glare at him again and made a frustrated noise. Wow, he was just kind of an ass, wasn't he? Not that she was much better today, but at least she was willing to admit it. Cass had the feeling that he wasn't one who would. "Normally I don't." He could take it to be either that she didn't often throw rocks or that she often didn't care when she did; both would be true.

Blinking a few times at his question, her eyes shifted to his. She blinked again. "Oh, no. I didn't until you said something." She shrugged a little. "Not that I care either way. No, I was just... studying you." She shrugged again. "It's just something I do."

Now would likely come the questions or the scoffing or something similar. It's what usually happened. She was just a teen, why would she be studying anyone or anything? That, or he'd think she meant she was checking him out, which so wasn't the case. Not only was he, like, almost a decade older than her, but she wasn't interested in anyone at all. And she wouldn't be any time soon either.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:43 am

He noticed her glare returning and he briefly wondered why she was getting mad when all he did was point out the obvious. She gave him her open-ended answer, but he merely shrugged his shoulders uninterestedly. He pulled off his coat with little pain and swatted off the dirt that had come with the stone before pulling it back on. It wasn't particularly cold out for him to need his coat, but he preferred to keep his hidden blades within close reach in case something unexpected arose.

Her response to his question was unexpected, but it wasn't offensive either, which was a rare thing. At least he wouldn't have to deal with ignorance and hatred and the conversation could continue on civilly. "What about my person could warrant one such as yourself a desire to study me?" Michael asked curiously. "It was only moments ago when you were angry with me. Why do you have such an interest in me now?" It wasn't intention to serious continue the conversation with her, but now she had some of his attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:38 am

Cass sighed softly then started to explain what she meant. "Because people are interesting. The way they hold themselves when still is different from when they're moving and both can tell someone who knows what to look for a lot about that person. So can the things that person has with them or around them or the way they arrange objects in their home or office or locker or whatever. Most people say a lot more about themselves than they realize and I find it interesting." She shrugged a little. "For example, you're wary of being attacked, not because you're in a gang but because you have been before. You're keeping your jacket on because you likely have weapons hidden inside it and you want to keep them close. You really weren't that interested in your book and were just reading it to pass time since today is surprisingly warm for the start of March and reading a book is a good reason to be outside and for people not to approach you to talk about something. It also makes it easier for you to glance around discreetly to see if someone is nearing anyway. And that's just minor stuff." She shrugged again and waited to see what his response to that was.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:50 am

Michael had to admit. He wasn't expecting such a long answer to come from the girl. Perhaps something about it just being a hobby or something to pass the time, but her reason was very in depth. Something that surprised and disturbed him slightly.

His disturbance only grew when she began to analyze him, but the accuracy made him feel like she had been watching him for a few weeks at least. How else would she know he wasn't associated with a gang? She even knew, or at least made a very intelligent guess, about the weapons he kept on his person.

The people watching aspect that she had described wasn't as disturbing to him, because it was easily observable to anyone who actually cared to look. Still in total her observation made him dangerously wary of her and brought back some bad memories, but Michael suppressed his emotions from going out of control with little outward signs he was doing such a thing. He turned his head to the girl and watched her for a few seconds before turning his attention back in front of him. "You sure seem to know a lot about someone you just met, or have we met somewhere before? I swear I'd remember someone like you." he asked with a serious and cold tone. "Perhaps you'd be willing to share your name with me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:10 pm

She glanced over to study him again, more from the corner of her eye than anything else, then huffed out an amused sound. "No, we've never met before." She was positive that she'd remember someone as prissy as he was.

"You know, normally if you want to know someone's name, you'd give yours first," she pointed out dryly. "But since I'm sure you're a few seconds away from dragging me into an alley to start threatening me, it's Cass. And you can relax. I'm not stalking you or anything," she added, reaching up to push her hood off. "I just want to be a criminal profiler when I'm older is all. I practice now. My dad thinks I've got a gift for it, but that it's sometimes creepy." She shrugged and looked at Michael properly. "So, just out of curiosity, are you going to tell me what to call you by or should I just assign you a nickname?" She had absolutely no problem doing that, but he might not be too happy with whatever she ended up giving him - which would likely be something along the lines of 'Sir Priss'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:58 pm

He watched her carefully, but she seemed a little amused with herself with his reactions. She told him that they'd never met before and while it was likely true, Michael still felt uneasy around her.

Michael grew a little annoyed that she was chiding him on manners when she went around kicking stones at people when she was upset, but she gave another close assessment and gave up her name anyway. "I wouldn't go so far as to drag you into an alleyway. There subtler means to get information. he told her truthfully.

He relaxed slightly when she pulled off her hood and he noticed how young her face looked compared to the rest of her body. It was a surprising contrast to say the least. He'd expected a woman in her twenties, but she looked even younger than that. "I'd have to agree with your father on that. Your judgement on people can be accurate, but it can also get you into trouble if you expose that to the wrong kinds of people."

"So, just out of curiosity, are you going to tell me what to call you by or should I just assign you a nickname?"

Michael sighed and looked at her. "My name is Michael." he told her simply as they continued walking.

Body text Gold. Speech is Slategray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Cass huffed out some laughter, shaking her head a little. "Okay, so maybe not an alley - there's kind of a lack of them around right at the moment anyway - but some sort of threat. If you want to for a subtler way, then go right ahead." She wondered what he'd do and what she'd learn from that. Probably more than he would or than he thought she would. Of course, most people didn't realize that even when they were doing the interrogating, they were giving away things about themselves as well. It was pretty interesting, actually.

Shrugging a little, Cass moved a hand in concession to what he had said. "That's true. But what if I was looking for a fight or otherwise to 'get into trouble'?" she asked, tilting her head a little as she wondered what he'd say in response to that. "I mean, after a bit of observation, it's not like I wouldn't be able to pick out who will get violent. Well, for the most part anyway." She shrugged. She was still learning after all. And her size tended to make people hesitate a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:11 am

Michael raised an eyebrow at Cass's laughter. He didn't think anything he said was particularly funny so he was slightly confused for a moment. Then she told him to try a subtle kind threat and he gave her another confused look. He didn't understand why someone would want to be i a situation where they would be threatened, but he shook his head. "I see no reason why i should try to threaten you. Admittedly you alarmed me with your keen powers of observation, but you do not seem to have any malicious intentions. So, as of right now, there is no need for me to take actions against you."

When she told him the she might be looking for a fight he just looked at her curiously. He couldn't really say anything against the idea of looking for a fight, when he himself was out looking for revenge. "You must be confident in your abilities if you are purposely looking for a fight, or perhaps you are excited by the idea of being in danger." Michael said as he took a quick look at his surroundings and saw a few familiar faces from back at the park.

It seemed like they were just waiting for him to be away from Cass before they would try to get what they wanted out of him, but he didn't show any signs that he'd understood their intentions or recognized them. As he turned back to Cass he let a small touch his lips. "You say that you can observe whether someone is violent or not, right? Well, what do you think when you look at me? Do you think i could be the violent type?" he asked her. He was curious if she would think of him as weak just because of his slim stature. He also wanted to see if she would notice that they were being followed or not. He believed that she would notice, but there was always a chance she wouldn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Cass shook her head a little. "Geez, you're friggin' literal aren't you? Don't you get that words and actions are two different things? And I'm sort of confident, sure, but I'm not stupid about it either. I just..." She sighed softly and shrugged. "Haven't you ever been angry at the world and wanted some way to let it all out?"

She tilted her head at his answering question then nodded slowly. "Yeah, I can." Some people took a bit more time to suss out than others though, not that she was going to say that. "And yeah, you can be. You're pretty well leashed and know the best times to let it out, like when you've got people being pretty obvious about following you and you're pretending you haven't seen them," she said, voice low enough to not carry much further than a few feet from the pair of them. Certainly not far enough for one of them to hear without some sort of aid. "I wouldn't be surprised if you end up thinking that I'm some sort of distraction so they could sneak up, but your situational awareness is pretty good and, well, it's hard not to notice when someone is staring at you. These guys are just thugs, if I'm any judge." She shrugged again and waited to see what Michael planned to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:10 am

Michael shrugged casually with a tilt of his head. "Of course I understand that words and actions are two different things. It's just my...personal experience that has lead me to think that people say what they mean the first time. he told her with a dull anger simmering in his eyes. It wasn't directed at her as much as it was at the memory he was thinking of. As for your question, the world...yes. There are times where I am angry at the world. There are questions I want answered, justice I want done, but the world will not simply conform to my wishes, so I will use all of my resources to get the information on my own." he admitted his tone growing more serious and dark towards the end.

After a moment he pulled back his emotions listened to her answer his question and gave her a small smile. "I'm once again surprised by your accurate assessment of the situation, and now that I'm sure that you know about them I suggest we take a break from our conversation while I handle what needs to be handled. I won't take too long if they are just simple thugs. Still, I might take long enough for you to perhaps treat yourself to something to eat." he told her with a fake smile that didn't really leave any room for discussion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:26 pm

"No, that's not..." Cass trailed off then sighed and shook her head. "Nevermind." She had meant that someone saying they were going to do something was different from said person actually doing whatever it was that they said. "Though, now I'm curious how you'd be around double talk," she mused, sure that it would aggravate him.

Raising her eyebrows, Cass shook her head when Michael was done speaking. "Why would you want to fight them alone?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. It wasn't that she wasn't willing to follow his lead since he clearly knew what to expect, more so than she did, but her curiosity was outweighing that right now. If one of them approached to attack, she'd get out of Michael's way - and deal with any who might decide to attack her. "And I'm not very hungry," she added with a small smirk before tilting her head as the smirk faded into a serious look. "But how do you want to deal with all of this?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Michael on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:42 am

Michael understood her meaning the first time. He just didn't want to go telling the girl that he'd been the target of people who would follow through with their threats. He knew most people gave empty threats and promises and he honestly expected very little from people because of it. "I'm sure I could figure out the underlying meanings of things if I tried." he said with a feigned tone of being insulted. Michael knew she was trying to annoy him, and he played along for now. He was enjoying his short conversation with the girl.

"They are clearly after me and so they are my problem to deal with." he told her simply, but she rejected his offer to leave his side with a smirk. He shook his head softly and looked at their surroundings. He noticed an small alleyway coming up and turned to the Cass. "There are only five of them at most. The best thing to do is to move somewhere they can't all attack at once. Like that alleyway over there. That'll suit me just fine. By your tone i assume you'll be staying to watch, but I ask you to stay behind me." He didn't say it to be a hero or impress her. He honestly just didn't want her getting in his way while he fought. He walked into the darkened alleyway and went about halfway inside before stopping and turning around to face the way they came in. "Last chance for you to leave Cass. Are you sure you want to stay?" he asked with more curiosity than concern. It would only be a couple more seconds before the thugs made their way to the alleyway as well and if they were smart they would have someone run to the other side to try to cut them off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top