THE RADIUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss]

2 posters

Go down

I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss] Empty I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss]

Post by Tora Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:14 pm

He’d seen the date circled and labeled in Hoss’ apartment which was the only reason he even knew the date of the occasion. What were you even supposed to do for a birthday? Especially when their dad just died the week before.He had vague recollections of birthday parties when he was little but those seemed highly inappropriate for their age, and speaking of which he had no clue what to get him either. The obvious choice of a gift would be a book but Hoss owned so many he didn’t want to risk getting him a duplicate.

His solution came unexpectedly via a large “For Sale” sign in a window while he was walking towards the others apartment.

Just hope he doesn’t hate me for it… He rapped his knuckle against the door lightly and when the door opened to Hoss standing there he almost instantly shoved the box into the others arms, “I-I saw the date on your calendar and I didn’t really know what to get for you s-so…” he trailed off, clearly embarrassed and red about it, can’t even look him in the eyes.

The box was medium sized, it wasn’t really anything special a cardboard box with a lid and some holes poked in the top and one of those cheap stick-on bows stuck on it in a poor attempt to make it look decorative. A muffled mewl came from inside it.
Tora
Tora
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss] Empty Re: I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss]

Post by Hoss Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:58 am

Hoss had done a lot of reading the past week. He was going through his father's things and found an old diary. In the diary he read all about his father, how his job was really a front for a gang operation. How while he had legitimate work he was also a gangster in a small time operation. How his mother had left some guy she was engaged to in order to be with his father, but never really wanted kids. Even when they were young it seemed she was more interested in the gang lifestyle. She had missed it, and ran off with someone who was still pretty involved in a smalltime gang. Hoss laughed at that, but what he found funny was that his father seemed to be this sort of tough guy.

He had always thought of his father as weak, a coward. Maybe it was because of how wrecked he got when their mother left, maybe it was because he was more verbally abusive than physical. After reading about some of the stuff his father used to do, how he would rough up people trying to cheat them out of money, how he was the go to enforcer, he thought back on all the times their father hit them. He wondered if maybe he was holding back a lot and they just didn't realize it. Or that maybe because he was drunk he couldn't hold back as much strength as he intended to. He dropped the train of thought given that he was so verbally mean to them, not just physically abusive.

When a knuckle sounded on the door, Hoss closed the book and tossed it aside among a pile that had fallen before turning and getting off of the bed, opening the door and seeing Trevor standing there with a box. Before he could get in so much as a hello Trevor shoved the box into HOss' arms. "I-I saw the date on your calendar and I didn't really know what to get for you s-so…"

Hoss looked over to his calendar and saw that his birthday had been marked. To be honest he had forgotten all about his birthday. He marked it just to remind himself to go out and sort of celebrate with a drink or maybe even to just stay home and reflect on things a bit. He looked down, hearing the noise and knowing almost immediately what it was.

"So you got me a cat?" He laughed and opened the lid, reaching in and grabbing the cat by the scruff of the collar and setting the box to the side. He raised it up so it was face to face with him before rubbing his nose against the cat's own. "This fucker is legitimately adorable. This is by far the most acceptable birthday gift."

Hoss turned and carried the kitten properly in his hands before dropping back on his bed and giggling as the cat just kept making noises before letting it struggle to walk around on his chest. "This things going to be the fiercest feline ever! What about Ievan though? You'll have to be careful bringing him around…. does it, he? she? Have a name and or a gender?"
Hoss
Hoss
C rank
C rank

Back to top Go down

I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss] Empty Re: I hope you like cats, or Hoss' birthday bash [toss]

Post by Tora Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:23 pm

He was laughing and that was good. He genuinely looked happier than he had seen him in what felt like a long time. He followed him inside, closing the door behind them. There were as many books as there ever were, though a few more piles of fallen over stacks. Hoss was lying down with glee as the kitten struggled to walk on him.

"This things going to be the fiercest feline ever! What about Ievan though? You'll have to be careful bringing him around…. does it, he? she? Have a name and or a gender?"

Trevor went over to them and scratched the cat behind its ears, it lost its footing but righted itself again quickly. “It’s a guy and I’ll worry about Ievan…” He smiled a little and sat down near Hoss’ feet, “It’s yours now so you should name it.” And don’t ask him either, the only reason his gerbil didn’t have a really stupid name is because there was someone in his life that wasn’t a complete ass that he could name it after.
Tora
Tora
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoss Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 pm

So it had been a guy huh? He watched it crawl around a little more as he started to think of different names he could give it. It got him to thinking of names and why we had to have them. He may have been given one but he chose his name, he chose Hoss. Harvey was just what his parents had named him. He wasn't even sure why they gave him such a weird name. He would have preferred just some slight alterations like Harley so at least he could say he was named after some really cool type of motorcycle but no, he was forced to find a more suitable replacement for a name.

"Jasper," He said out loud without really thinking about it. "I don't know why but it's the first cat-ish name I can think of. Jasper the cat. Jasper Meowington the third, esquire. Yeah, that sounds about right."

He got the cat to lie on it's back and start reaching up and trying to gnaw on the tip of his finger as he looked over to where Trevor was sitting down. "This things seriously the best present I've ever gotten. I don't think I've ever really gotten anything decent since I was like, a little kid and I got a bike or something. Every year after that it was just a little extra allowance and I didn't have to do chores or go to school if I didn't want to."

Of course he still had to do chores anyway because if he didn't his sister would and she'd get upset with him. They had a silent arrangement that they wouldn't take each other's work because they didn't trust the other to not screw it up. If Hoss did his sister's job wrong and their dad was upset, he'd blame Hoss' sister and not Hoss.

"If you were a cat what do you think your name would be?" He asked, giggling a bit as the cat rolled around on him. He was actually cheerful for the first time in a long time. For once it was even sincere.
Hoss
Hoss
C rank
C rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tora Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:10 pm

"I don't know why but it's the first cat-ish name I can think of. Jasper the cat. Jasper Meowington the third, esquire. Yeah, that sounds about right."

“Jaspers just fine.” He probably didn’t mean long name seriously, but he could never be one hundred percent sure with Hoss. It was really adorable – both of them actually. Trevor pretty much had a soft spot for anything that breathed practically and tiny kittens rolling around would melt anybody’s heart. And Hoss was giddy as a child, which totally made any inconvenience it had taken to buy and carry the cat worth it.

So Hoss really hadn’t celebrated his birthday in a long time, he wasn’t any better of course. Turning back time, when his family had been together, they couldn’t afford anything extravagant for his birthday. A cake his family would make together out of the cheap mix you could buy at any grocery store and one inexpensive gift. “Well I’m glad I could get you something after all that time.”

"If you were a cat what do you think your name would be?"

That was out of the blue. He had to think about it for a few awkward seconds where he ran a hand through his hair distractedly “W-wouldn’t Trevor still be ok?”
Tora
Tora
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down