THE RADIUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's A Dog's Life [Aiden][Toby]

2 posters

Go down

It's A Dog's Life [Aiden][Toby] Empty It's A Dog's Life [Aiden][Toby]

Post by AJ Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:51 am

Well wasn’t this a dog’s day?

Aiden kept a rolled newspaper over his head as he ducked into the nearest bar, the sudden climate change from scorching hot to pouring rain, being an unexpected one. Inside however, there was a warm ambience, and not just because of the soft lighting and neon signs that hung along the walls and windows, advertising various brews. Nor was it entirely the wooden décor and stools, giving the place a cozy, traditional feel; the type of pub where one could expect to see old grandpas gathering by day, and college kids communing by night. You know, that kind of bar. The kind one could expect to see anybody and everybody as if it were a small town, never knowing when you’d run into an old face.

Actually, that’s exactly what was about to happen. As Aiden scanned the room for a good spot to wait out the downpour, taking in the various people scattered around, he took note of one figure in particular that caught his eyes. A figure hunched over at the bar (just how many of those drinks were his?!) with a ragged mop of hair, yet dressed in a suit. Although Aiden couldn’t see the man’s face, the tell tale cane leaning against the counter was all the proof he needed as he decided to welcome an old friend.

With a playful smirk, Aiden went up from behind and clapped a hand on the old man’s shoulder as he loudly greeted,
“Well well, if it isn’t Detective McKensie.”
AJ
AJ
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

It's A Dog's Life [Aiden][Toby] Empty Re: It's A Dog's Life [Aiden][Toby]

Post by Toby Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:34 pm

A lot of time had passed by since he first stepped into this bar. Not thinking about today, but in general. He had seen bartenders come and go. Some who died, others who had grown from scrubbing glasses to owning the place. After everything with the place Toby had been the one constant. Every night after work he'd come down and have a beer by himself or with a friend. He had dated some of the women he met in this pub and had even considered buying it himself at times that it had gone up for sale. The only problem was he was more about drinking than serving, so he wouldn't be a good bartender. He'd have to hire out and nobody wants to watch their boss get drunk day in and day out. To own it would kill his love for it.

"Yeh know Toby. You gotta slow down, you aren't as young as you used to be, old man."

"Right you are, la! I'm a bit older to say the least BUT! This drink here? This heavenly dark dark beer is a medicine for these old bones. Helps with the pain of movin' it does. So, I drink."
He raised his glass with a stupid grin before emptying the glass. "Though I think I'll take a break for now."

He chuckled and rested his head back, closing his eyes and enjoying the smell of the place. The old beer stained wood was home to him. A hand awoke him from his temporary break as his eyes darted and he saw a young face, though not so young as it once was. Age and experience could do a number, even in less than a decade. Still though, youth was beaming from the kid. "Well well, if it isn't Detective McKensie."

"Officer Walsh," He remembered the guy quite clearly. He was one of those plain joe sort of officers. He was good people, which made for a good officer. After all, it was important for Officers to remember that they were serving the people. Protect and Serve, not dominate and rule. "Of all the pubs and all the storefronts, what brings you here boy-o?"
Toby
Toby
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:23 am

A chuckle escaped the younger man as he gave the drinker a cheerful pat. It felt like ages ago since Aiden had last been called by that title, but hearing it come from the old man’s exuberant (if not inebriated) voice, it was not an unwelcomed sound. Instead, the former cop shook some of the remaining droplets out of his hair before taking on the invitation. He slid into the nearest stool as he replied,“Just thought I’d visit an old haunt while waiting out the rain.”

And as good as a cold beer might have sounded with his new friend; Aiden opted instead for a mug of coffee, he needed to get some warmth in his body first. As he blew into clasped hands and rubbed them together, the young man continued his conversation, “But it looks like I got lucky in coming here, how you been partner?”

As he listened to the former detective, Aiden glanced over to get a better view of the old man. That scruffy beard was still there, refined in its own wild ways; a testament to its owners nature itself. In all his time spent on the force, Aiden clearly remembered Toby as a fellow who had always been one to raise a few eyebrows, whether for his paradoxical manner of dress (somewhere between smoothly polished and a disheveled mess…), the way he handled his cases (or rather the chases), or simply for what he was (a harbinger). Despite all the oddities, one thing was clear; the old man had always marched to the beat of his own drum.

Not that it bothered Aiden in the slightest. On the contrary it was quite admirable how much the old harbinger managed to accomplish during his time; which was why the young cop respected his senior so much. Ahh, now the memories were coming back. How long had it been since they had worked on a case together?

AJ
AJ
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Toby Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:30 am

With a pat on the back and a friendly greeting out of the way it seemed that the officer would be joining him on this lovely rainy autumn day. "Just thought I'd visit an old haunt while waiting out the rain." Toby kept his grin up because he was rather fond of the company, however unexpected it truly was. As the boy ordered coffee, he couldn't help but be tempted to tip in some of his own flask when the boy wasn't looking. He elected not to though, since he wasn't sure what the boy was up to today. "But it looks like I got lucky in coming here, how you been partner?"

"Old!" Toby said with a bit of a giggle. His hand reached for his cane and stamped the ground twice with it before resting it against the bar once more. "This thing 'ere is the only thing keepin' me from a life inside an old folks home, knitting and chatting up the senile grannies." He was joking of course, he was only just past fifty. He felt older than he was though, the side effect of his restitution. On the force it was no secret that his ability allowed him to temporarily take power away from other Harbingers. That was as much as they knew though, most hadn't even guessed at his restitution. It was always a curiosity of some but nobody had the gall to ask him what it was.

"Findin' retirement to be a bit on the dull side to tell yeh the truth, la. I took to the private investigation field like a fish ta water. Been doin' a lot of bounties and such, a few divorce cases here and 'dere. I've found that it's quite excitin and the pay's not so bad if you don't waste all of it on the drink." He took a long sip of his beer before setting it down, his fingers drumming along to the song playing quietly in the background. "So how about you? You're still quite young, I heard a rumor that you're a civilian though, don't suppose that's got some truth to it now does it?"
Toby
Toby
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:08 am

Old man Toby may have been an odd one, whom most in the force avoided talking with, let alone hang out after hours, but those who had managed to get past the harbinger front easily learned that he made for good company. The man could lighten up a scene to laughter faster than the bubblings in his beer. Aiden didn’t have to be drunk to be caught by infectious giggles coming from the old man as he in turn let loose a wide grin; his boyish side started to seep out as he watched Toby bang his cane against the floor.

"This thing 'ere is the only thing keepin' me from a life inside an old folks home, knitting and chatting up the senile grannies."

“Is that so? I don’t know, I get the feeling you’d be quite popular with the ladies there…” Aiden teased.

"Findin' retirement to be a bit on the dull side to tell yeh the truth, la. I took to the private investigation field like a fish ta water. Been doin' a lot of bounties and such, a few divorce cases here and 'dere. I've found that it's quite excitin and the pay's not so bad if you don't waste all of it on the drink."

Oh, so the old timer was still working; privately, but still working. Not that he was really surprised. The old man could be 10 years younger by his plucky spirit alone. If it wasn’t for those knees, Aiden was sure that Toby would still be kicking up a storm…well, more so than he was right now. The younger man was about to reach a hand out to intervene his companion’s long swig but halted as the bottle was set back down. So he wasn’t to the point of completely drunk…yet.

"So how about you? You're still quite young, I heard a rumor that you're a civilian though, don't suppose that's got some truth to it now does it?"

The sudden shift of topic from Toby to himself caught Aiden off guard; especially on the subject that the PI had heard about Aiden’s leave. In that instant the hiatus cop went from smiles and good cheers to a feeling of discomfort as he looked down at the mug in his hands, tapping the rim with his finger. The mention of the past was bringing back some memories Aiden had almost buried. Taking in a quiet breath he had to admit there was no use in pretending at this point. Turning back to the drinker, Aiden gave a sheepish laugh as he confirmed the rumor, “You caught me. Yeah, I’m on a leave of sorts at the moment. Things happened...and I decided I needed some time to sort things out…”
AJ
AJ
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down