THE RADIUS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

thursday business (open)

+3
Flara
Shade
Fye
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

thursday business (open) Empty thursday business (open)

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Spoiler:

Thursday then--close enough that people started seeing the end of the week and the reprieve that the weekend offered. Fye had been up since four in the morning, starting on the baking so that the blue-collar workforce could get their breakfasts--mostly filled buns for them, with the occasional loaf--and slipping into the kitchen after the initial rush was over to start in on the cakes, buttercream and peach pie today, before more people started coming in around seven.

It was always a bit of a squeeze on weekdays, but he refused to make dough the night before (save for his sourdough starter, and that took days); refrigerating it affected the taste, he felt, and he didn't need to sleep much anyways.

Finally though, everything was done, the morning rush had petered out, and Fye got a bit of a breather, sitting behind the counter with a cup of coffee and a car magazine, keeping an absent eye on the door.

Last edited by Fye on Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

thursday business (open) Empty Re: thursday business (open)

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:34 pm

Shortly before noon, the door was pushed open. A teenage girl of average height slipped in and took a moment to look around. It was odd that she chose to wear a hoodie in the midst of summer but she didn't look to be uncomfortable. Pushing the hood back a small bit with a gloved hand, she moved toward the counter and studied Fye through darkly tinted goggles.

After a moment, Shade nodded in greeting and turned to look at what was on offer. The buttercream was something she'd eat, and certainly brought back pleasant memories, but what to get the guys? Felix would probably like the meat buns, especially since it would mean that he wouldn't make a mess while surfing the web, and Blanch would probably get a kick out of the butterfly cookies, and if he got the joke, even better.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants
Total Spent Rep: 100

Back to top Go down

Post by Flara Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:49 pm

Flara had been getting bored with the South District lately so she’d taken the metro to the West District this morning. She was well aware of the fact that she was wasting her soon-to-be nonexistent money but it’s not like she was saving any cash the South District either. In those streets, she couldn’t walk five steps without some homeless dude asking for her spare change. For god’s sake, she didn’t even have spare change!

Flara wandered the streets for a few hours aimlessly and at twelve in the afternoon, her stomach began to growl. Ugh, when was the last time she had had a meal? Two, three days ago? In the distance, the girl saw a bakery. Nope, she couldn’t go to that place. It was unlikely for those baked goods to be thrifty and Flara really needed things to be cheap considering her financial problems. However, her hunger took control of her legs and marched her over there.

Flara was astonished by the menu. It was, as a matter of fact, thrifty. A dollar twenty-five for a slice of pie? Forget when she’d last eaten; when was the most recent time she’d had pie? Seven years, maybe? Well, now it would be today.

Flara walked up to the cashier, passing a few other customers on the way. “I’d like to order two slices of the seasonal fruit pie and a steamed meat bun, please,” she told the man behind the counter.
Flara
Flara
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:04 pm

Fye glanced up from his magazine for a moment as the door chimed open, eyes flicking over the girl who entered, taking in her clothing, the gloves on her hands, and then the goggles as she came closer, apparently studying him back. He held her gaze until she nodded, nodding back, and then returning to his reading, turning a page as the girl started perusing the selection behind the display glass.

He did the same thing, a single glance upwards at the second chime, but this girl seemed a bit more decisive; after a quick glance at the handlettered sign of prices on the wall behind his seat, she came up to the counter.

“I’d like to order two slices of the seasonal fruit pie and a steamed meat bun, please.”

"Peach pie today," he replied without moving, one eyebrow raised questioningly. "For here?"
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Flara Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Yes, peach pie! That had been her favorite pie as a child since she’d never had a watermelon pie (was there even such a thing?) before. Then again, any pie would have sufficed −except for a pineapple one− because Flara hadn’t had pie in so long.

“Yes, for here,” Flara replied to the cashier’s question promptly. As the man got the baked goods Flara had selected, she scanned the activity of the store. There was a girl who had been staring at the display cases since before Flara had walked in. She had goggles and looked like she was ready for winter. How peculiar. There were also a few other people quietly eating their pastries, but nothing much.

When Flara was handed her pie and meat bun, she thanked the worker and took a seat near the window. She ate her meat bun quickly so that she could move on to the pie. It was common etiquette to eat the meal before the dessert, right?

The meat bun was already delicious but the peach pie tasted way better. The flavor exploded in Flara’s mouth. The fruity goodness of the peaches tasted fresh and tangy. The crust was light and crispy and it melted in her mouth, leaving a buttery aftertaste. Flara sure knew where she was coming back to for dinner.
Flara
Flara
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:52 pm

Shade stepped into line behind the other girl. She smiled minutely, and somewhat wistfully, at the outfit the other was wearing.

As she waited, she couldn't help but hear that peach pie was an option today. Maybe she'd buy one to share at home. And get her own meat bun since she hadn't eaten yet. As often as she lectured the others about eating more healthy foods, she should try to do the same. It was just a pity that there wasn't a vegetarian option.

Glancing out the window as she waited, Shade couldn't help but wince. It was so friggin' bright out today - enough so that even her goggles weren't helping all that much. Turning her attention back to the interior, she cast her gaze around for the most shadowed spot she could sit.

When the girl in front of her moved away, Shade stepped forward. "Hi. I'd like a meat bun and slice of buttercream now. For here. And later, I'd like another two meat buns, a dozen butterfly cookies, and a peach pie to go," she requested. After a beat, she added, "Please," sounding a bit sheepish that she had forgotten.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:06 pm

At the girl's reply, Fye stood, tossing his magazine to the counter before reaching underneath the surface for a large plate, thick porcelain in a shade of burnt red; opening the back of the display case, he took out the peach pie, deftly slicing out two pieces before replacing it, bringing out another, smaller plate, and using the tongs to select a steamed meat bun. He shut the display door, setting both plates on the countertop, and then rang up the girl's total, "Three fifty."

She paid, and Fye took her money, trading it for a receipt, watched her scurry off to a table, and then turned his attention to the other girl, raising his eyebrow at her.

"Hi. I'd like a meat bun and slice of buttercream now. For here. And later, I'd like another two meat buns, a dozen butterfly cookies, and a peach pie to go."

Her 'please' was a little belated, but the effort counted; Fye moved again for the plates, a small one for the bun and a medium one for the slice of cake, setting both on the counter and ringing up the total. "Two twenty-five. Come up when you're done for the rest."
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Flara Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 pm

Flara listened as the next customer ordered a load of stuff and turned around to look at her. That girl was probably rich considering she could afford that much; from the North District, maybe? The two girls locked eyes for a moment before Flara turned her head back to her meal, ponytail whipping around as well. People from the North District always seemed to annoy Flara, probably because of her bad past there. What Flara had just done was rather rude, but hey, that girl did have a very delayed ‘please’ when she ordered.

Flara proceeded to eat her peach pie in silence. Great, now her good attitude and her appetite was gone for now. She heaved a sigh after finishing the last bite of peach pie. At least she probably won’t be here later... I hope, Flara thought to herself. She abruptly stood up and began to make her way out of the store.

She better not talk to me…
Flara
Flara
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:45 pm

Smiling somewhat shyly at Fye, Shade reached out to pay, but paused at the look the other teen had shot her. Her smile vanished and she frowned slightly, not realizing that she appeared to be looking at Fye. While the seventeen-year-old knew she wasn't exactly the most social of people and ended up being awkward a lot (almost forgetting to say please earlier being a good example of that), even she hadn't managed to piss off someone without interacting with them before. The only times that had happened were... Oh. She must have noticed something that gave away Shade as a harbinger and was one of the many who hated them.

Shade hunched her shoulders in a little, turning away from the other girl, and subsequently away from Fye somewhat. "I'm sorry," she said to Fye, voice much softer than earlier. "But can I just get all of it to go? I've got a long way to get home and I doubt my friends have eaten yet." She tugged her hood over her face again, hiding in its depths and lowering her gaze as her hand shifted to fiddle with the goggles still covering her eyes.

Yeah, it was still bright and going outside now would hurt, but it was better than being anywhere near someone who didn't think harbingers should even exist.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Fye turned his attention to the second girl as she left in a hurry, then back to the first as she spoke, now huddled in on herself.

"I'm sorry. But can I just get all of it to go? I've got a long way to get home and I doubt my friends have eaten yet."

Silently, he considered her for a moment, and then nodded once, reaching back under the counter to take out several boxes of the white cardboard type; with a few flicks, he assembled each one and lined them with waxed paper. Two meat buns and the one from the plate that the girl had ordered, went into one; another piece of wax paper went in between them and the dozen butterfly cookies, plucked from their place, that he put in. He closed the box, securing all the bits, taping it closed, and then moved on to the next one, disappearing into the kitchen for a moment to select a peach pie, returning to carefully lower it into another box before taping that one closed as well--the final box was for the slice of buttercream cake, deftly removed from its plate.

He rung up her new order without a word, relaying the total, then bent to fetch a paper sack out from under the counter as well, unfurling it with a wave of his arms and loading in the boxes before accepting her money, punching the amount into the register, the machine clanking and clicking to itself.

He tore off the paper receipt, placing it in the bag, and then paused in the act of handing it to her, staring into the lens of her tinted goggles in a sort of musing consideration.

"Harbinger?" he finally said, voice muted somewhat so that it wouldn't carry beyond them. He nodded at her clothes, raising a single eyebrow.
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Shade's head jerked up and her breath caught in surprise, her already pale skin somehow going even whiter. She tensed, looking ready to run out of the shop, before she finally took in his eyes. Relaxing somewhat, she nodded.

"Not that it's ever done me much good," she murmured in response, carefully reaching out to accept the bag. Even though she didn't seem as tense as just a moment ago, it was clear that she was still leery. She thanked him for the food and turned to go before pausing and looking up at him again. "How can you stand it?" she whispered. "It's so hard for me sometimes."

It was rather clear from her tone and body language that she didn't really have anyone to talk to about being a harbinger. And she didn't, not someone who wasn't her own age at any rate.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants

Back to top Go down

Post by Kier Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:51 pm

Finding himself wandering to the West District again, Kier suddenly felt the urge to treat himself to something nice. There was a bakery he heard about on the metro, although the girls refused to give him the address. After about half an hour of aimless loitering, he found the said bakery.

Pushing open the door, he almost smacked it into a customer moving to exit.
"Sorry!" His voice echoed loudly, breaking the peaceful atmosphere. "Oh man that smells great. What'd you buy?" he asked, enthusiasm radiating from him as if he were still a ten-year-old brat. The girl smelled like peaches, actually that was probably the whole store he was smelling.

"Wait. Here" Grabbing her wrists, he pulled her behind the hooded figure chatting with the cashier. "Tell me what you got! Okay? Please?" Kier was all smiles by that time, pretending not notice the hushed conversations around the store. His orange to blue eyes were probably a dead giveaway of what he was. It didn't bother him too much since his ears couldn't pick up half of what everyone was saying.
Kier
Kier
C rank
C rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Flara Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Flara was almost smacked in her freaking face as a red-violet haired man swung it open. After hearing his bad excuse for an apology, she opened her mouth to yell the hell out of him. Before she had the chance to utter a single word, the man started to pester her for what she ordered. Jesus crist, he was annoying.

The idiotic person grabbed Flara’s wrists and continued to plead for her to tell him what she got. FUUUU- Despite this guy acting like a 10-year-old, he was strong enough that Flara was unable to yank her hands away.

“Can you stop acting like a stupid little kid?!” Flara hissed in a rather loud manner. She would’ve shouted but they were in the bakery and she didn’t want to be grouped with the idiot in front of her. This guy was practically barfing rainbows like there was no tomorrow. If Flara could face palm right now, she probably would have.

Flara drew in a big breath and rolled her eyes to the ceiling, exasperated. Then she brought her gaze back to the red-violet haired man that still held her wrists. “Fine! I got a meat bun and peach pie, okay?! Now can you f*cking let go of me?!
Flara
Flara
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:36 pm

He held her gaze, staying perfectly still like he was trying to keep from spooking an animal any further. The moment when she realized his nature was clear to him; her posture changed, relaxed, though she still looked like she was more-than ready to leave.

"Not that it's ever done me much good." He relinquished the bag, and she moved to go before pausing, evidently thinking of something else. "How can you stand it? It's so hard for me sometimes."

"Our kind are welcome here," he replied simply. This bakery and a certain orphanage in the South District: if anyone had problems with Harbingers frequenting the area, then they told them to shut up and bugger off. A tiny smile crossed Fye's face at a memory of one of those occasions at Hope Orphanage. "You or your friends get hungry, come back after hours to the side."

With that, he let her go. There was someone else queued behind her, being a bit loud, and Fye turned his attention to both of them--the girl from earlier, who'd been snagged, and the boy who'd caught her, just listening and watching them for the moment.
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:48 pm

Temporarily ignoring the small commotion going on behind her, Shade chose to respond to Fye first. "Thank you." A real, open smile spread over her face, making her look more her age and as if some of the weight on her shoulders had been lightened. "I'll bring my friends sometime. And thank you for the food. It smells delicious."

Turning to leave, Shade only made it a couple of steps before she realized one of the people yelling was the girl from earlier. Stopping short in surprise, she took in the spectacle. It was obvious the boy was also a harbinger and he seemed to be rather cheerful, but the girl looked pretty angry. Assuming that it was because there was a harbinger touching her, Shade ducked her head and started to skirt around them.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuji Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:57 pm

It had been 3 years since Akuji last stepped into Emberwheat Bakery. It was Keaira’s favorite store and ever since her sister disappeared, she tried to distance herself from places that made her feel even more alone than she already was. This morning wasn’t any different, but after spotting the small brown and beige building, she just couldn’t stop herself from heading towards it. She did secretly crave their delicious buttercream cakes every now and then.

Akuji pushed the door open and heard the soft chimes of the bells that once use to be a part of her everyday life. The first thing her eyes fell upon was a face she knew too well.

“Kier, you have way too much time on your hands,” she directed towards the orange and blue eyed male in front of the cashier. Akuji eyes flickered towards the other individuals in the shop. A brown hair female who obviously looked irritated, a woman dressed in all black who seemed to be leaving, and of course the shopkeeper. It felt as though she interrupted a few conversations.
Akuji
Akuji
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Kier Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:03 pm

He smiled as soon as the girl told him what he wanted to know. Dropping his grip he gave her an honest, "Thanks! And I really am sorry," before going up to the register. All eyes were on him now, even the hooded customer about to leave. He noticed her dark shades and her hurry to get leave as she rounded him. Ohh, another Harbinger? Interesting.

"Hey, didn't mean to disturb your business," he greeted the cashier followed by a small laugh. "Well if anything, I'd like two slices of your peach pie please. I'm sure it'll taste as great as it smells." Meeting the cashier's eyes, it was clear that he too was a Harbinger. The West District had all kinds of interesting people.

Behind him, the small bell chimed and a familiar voice addressed him.
“Kier, you have way too much time on your hands.” Looking over his shoulder, he saw the blue-haired woman he had met not too long ago. He laughed at her remark. "I should get a job then, huh?" He was joking of course, since his income came steadily from other sources. Grinning, he asked her, "You here for the peach pie too?"
Kier
Kier
C rank
C rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Shade Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:12 pm

With a last glance at the boy, Kier apparently, and the girl who didn't like harbingers, Shade turned back to the door. She studied the older woman there, waiting for her to move from the doorway. She bit back a sigh at seeing yet more clothing that she just could not wear.

Once the way was clear, Shade shifted her bundle and slipped out the door. Hurrying toward the nearby Metro station, her thoughts turned to the shop's owner. Just wait until she told Blanch and Felix about him and his shop. Knowing them, they'd try to drag her back out again tonight. Especially if his food really was as good as it smelled to be.

Smiling slightly and shaking her head, all she could think was it had been a good thing Felix had been able to hack into her old trust account. They'd be much worse off if he hadn't.

Last edited by PsychoWing on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shade
Shade
B rank
B rank

Implants

Back to top Go down

Post by Flara Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:25 pm

The guy finally let go of Flara wrists. He then gave her a thank-you and an apology (again). He seemed sincere enough… The hot-tempered girl decided to let him off the hook without even a kick to the crotch. This time. And hopefully, there wouldn’t be a next time.

Flara flexed her wrists to get the feeling back into her wrists. God, that dude had an iron grip. She wasn’t bruised or anything but it had been more than enough to numb her hands. Sighing again, Flara continued to walk out like she had originally intended to.

Hearing the blue-haired lady’s− who had just come in− remark that she’d tossed at that cheerful guy, Apparently, Kier was his name. Flara raised her eyebrows. “You know this guy? Wooow, lucky you,” she muttered sarcastically as her amber eyes flicked to the lady’s powder-blue ones. With that, Flara exited the bakery hoping that Kier wouldn’t still be there at noon.

Last edited by Aoichrysanthemum on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flara
Flara
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Tora Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:02 pm

His trip out to the west district had been more uncomfortable than relaxing than he thought. The drastic change in setting compared to the south made Trevor feel more like a fish out of water than ever. He'd even pulled up his hood in an attempt to make himself just a little less inconspicuous. The brown building barely caught his eyesight but the smell stopped him for a look. A bakery huh? He really couldn't remember what little he had eaten today. He fingered the pathetically small amount of crumpled bank notes in his pocket, bread was cheap right?
He visibly flinched at the loud chime when he opened the door. He mentally noted 4 people were already here. Good, the less people the better. Trevor moved away from the crowd as much as he could and looked towards the menu. He didn't bother even looking at the luxuries of pie or cake; searching for the cheapest thing he could buy and then get out.

Last edited by Tora on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tora
Tora
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:10 pm

"Hey, didn't mean to disturb your business. Well if anything, I'd like two slices of your peach pie please. I'm sure it'll taste as great as it smells."

Well, that was a promising start. Fye met the other man's eyes, a strange gradient of blue and orange, and recognized him as another Harbinger. Quite a few in here today. He nodded, moving to take out another plate, taking out the peach pie again to cut two slices, returning each item to its rightful place, raising another eyebrow as the redhead turned to address a blue-haired woman--actually blue-haired. It had to be dyed. Well. It wasn't his place to judge.

"Two fifty," he said to the redheaded Harbinger--Kier, evidently. Absently, he noted the departure of the second girl who'd come in around lunchtime and the arrival of another, skittery-looking man, but he never took his eyes off of the person before him.
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Akuji Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:18 pm

Akuji moved out of the doorway for the girl in black and the brown-haired one.

“You know this guy? Wooow, lucky you,” the pony-tailed female mumbled, walking out the door. Rude much, Akuji thought, but then again she wasn't the one to talk.

"Well, I guess there's still a million people who dislike harbingers," she murmured to herself as she turned to Kier, who had just finished placing his order.

"I should get a job then, huh? You here for the peach pie too?" He beamed.

"No, I'm not" She walked up to the counter, "I'd like a slice of buttercream cake." Akuji peered into one of the display cases and saw butterfly cookies. A sad smile appeared on her face, "and a dozen butterfly cookies too."

She never really did like their butterfly cookies as much as their buttercream cake, but for some reason, Keaira was practically addicted to them. Whenever they had the money she would always find a reason to make Akuji go and buy some. Maybe it was out of habit that she ordered them or maybe she was hoping that if she bought some Keaira would magically appear again.

Like that would happen.
Akuji
Akuji
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Kier Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:57 pm

"No, I'm not. I'd like a slice of butter cream cake and a dozen butterfly cookies too."

It was that smile again, the one she got when she was thinking about her sister. "You don't really look like a cookie person. Is it for, you know?" he asked, handing two fifty to the cashier. Kier thanked him for the peach pie before taking a seat.

The door swung open slowly, almost as if the person wasn't sure whether or not he wanted to enter. In shuffled another hooded figure, looking just as uncomfortable as the first. While he waited for Akuji to join him, he dug into the first pie slice.

Each bite felt like he died and went to heaven with angels and trumpets and everything. He never knew any fruit to taste better than mangoes, but this peach pie took the cake. Well, almost. He had to ask the cashier about mango pastries later.

Kier
Kier
C rank
C rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Fye Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:04 am

Accepting the redhead's money, Fye rang up his total, handing him the receipt--trying his best to not eavesdrop too much, but they were talking right in front of him. It wasn't as though he was deaf as well as stoic.

He took his time slicing a piece of the buttercream cake, plating it, and bringing it over to the counter, finally looking down at the blue-haired girl and considering her thoughtfully, though silently. He remembered her face a bit; it'd been a while since last he'd seen her though. He figured she'd moved on.

"Cookies for here or to go?" he finally said, declining to draw any further conclusions about her current state from just her appearance and the snippets of conversation he'd heard.
Fye
Fye
Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Tora Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:17 am

He was mutely surprised that the prices here were so cheap, almost enough to make him question if the bakery was possibly doing anything shifty behind closed doors. Probably not. The other shoppers were loud and his stare hardened for a moment at the mention of harbingers and hoped maybe his bangs were long enough to shield his own eye color.

Trevor waited until the apparent store owner had finished ringing up the blue haired girl’s order before approaching himself ;“Can I just have some sourdough bread?” avoiding eye contact, his voice above mumbling level but he couldn’t hide the awkwardness in his voice. He was never good talking. Or people.
Tora
Tora
D rank
D rank

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next